The Story of Loki - Part 4

It didn't take too long to catch up to the van. For a while I cruised a good ten feet behind them, trying to catch a glimpse of their faces in their rear view mirror, debating with myself. Two of them, only one of me.

Of course, I also had the element of surprise.I reached up to straighten the police man's hat, grinning to myself. All I got off him was his hat and jacket but it should be enough to fool the frosties momentarily. Just long enough for me to get the drop on them, so to speak.I crawled another few yards closer and then flipped the lights on. It's not like I stole police cars all the time...just enough so that I was fairly familiar with how the controls worked.

The siren wooped, and the lights flashed red and blue out over the snow, sending flickering beams skipping over the white surface. The van jerked a bit at first, the brake lights going on and off spastically. My grin stretched wider, since I could imagine exactly what was going on right now.They were probably cursing their bad luck at being pulled over.What an unfortunate coincidence.For a few seconds the van just kept on driving, and my smile started to slide. If they didn't pull over—no, there they went, slowly, over to one side of the road, tires slipping on the packed snow.I pulled over behind them and shut the car off, keeping the lights going. 

The more distractions the better. Part of me wanted to let them sit for a while, let them stew. Let them shit their pants a little bit.Not that they really were, both sides of this thing had the police in their pockets.They were probably wondering which side I was on at least....But they'd be expecting me to sit for a while, check my computer, drink my coffee, whatever it was cops did while you sat there and sweated through your shirt. And I couldn't afford to give them what they were expecting. Everything had to be a surprise.There was a flashlight up front, strapped to the side of the seat, and I leaned sideways to pull it out of the leather holster, weighing it in my hand. I'd bet it would make a pretty noise on contact with their skulls.

I shoved the door open, getting out slowly, boots crunching over the snow. I was betting on the lights being blinding if they looked back. Betting they could only see my outline. 

So I put on a show. Hooked my fingers into my belt loops, sauntered slowly forward. It was a ridiculous act, like some cheesy TV show cop, but I couldn't help it.

What can I say, drama is in my blood.

I like to make an entrance, after all. It gives me a little thrill in all the right places, if you know what I mean.No cop ever walked up grinning ear to ear though, so I forced my face into stillness as I approached the vehicle. Even if they couldn't see my face yet, it always paid to get into character.Then I was past the length of the van, at the window, and the idiot driver actually put his head out."Officer, what can I—"He recognized me mid-sentence, and his eyes went round, his mouth falling open. I swung the butt of the flashlight down onto his left temple.There was a meaty sounding clunk, which reverberated through my hand and up my arm, and I winced. Even after all my years of fighting, the war I went through, the people I'd killed, I still felt sorry for a guy for the guy.