Silent Plea

In front of me, Surtr had reached the army. He wheeled the horse around, the animal’s hooves kicking up clumps of grass and dirt. The king brandished his sword, threw back his head and yelled. He looked savage, steam curling off him wherever the snow fell on his bare skin, his eyes wide with blood rage,

“For Muspellheim!”

The army took up the cry, surging forward. Sigurd needed no commanding, he spun around and charged back the way we’d just come, and I found myself barreling toward the frost army, the pounding of hooves behind me. My army charging after me, the rebels close behind.

Ahead of us the frost army moved as one, their horses hurtling forward. My blood was like ice water as the distance closed between us. The katana made a metallic slicing sound as I drew it from the scabbard, clutching the grip tightly. What would happen when we collided?

Closer and closer. I could see the whites of the horses’ eyes, see the sunlight reflected off the snow glimmer on the curve of their helmets, the length of their swords. War cries filled the air over the thunder of hooves. They were hurtling at me, mouths open, screaming, about to devour me.

To keep the fear at bay I screamed back, opening my mouth to holler at the top of my lungs,my voice shaky at first and then building into a full on war cry that echoed my enemy. It seemed to spur Sigurd on, and he put on a burst of speed. Adrenalin pumped through me as we closed the gap. Then it was nothing but a clash of silver and brown as the armies collided, smashing together with the force of a freight train. It wasn’t what I had expected. I couldn’t pick out one rider and swing for him, everything was a chaotic mess, a terrifying blur of motion.  The frost soldier in front of me was thrown off his horse, and before he could get up Sigurd charged over him. I didn’t have time to see what had become of him, because soldiers were coming at me, leaning from their horses, swinging swords and clubs.

Eyes wide, I blocked a heavy blow from a sword. Where was Amora right now? I'd been so sure she’d take over and save me from being killed! But I was fully in charge of myself, there was no guiding force taking over my body, no extra knowledge that dictated my movements. Panic shot through me. Had she abandoned me to die? Had the memories dissolved and left me on my own?

Everyone was coming at me at once, and my rebels began to form a ring around me, cutting down everyone who came close. Finally I had a moment to clear my head and breath, looking out over the battle.

                It was a sea of writhing humanity, horse and man striking at one another, like a murderous tide. It looked like the frost army were trying to press forward, with half their army still stuck behind the pass’ narrow entrance. But we were holding them back pretty well. I spotted Kiera as she rode into the fray. She lifted her arms, casting her cloak off to reveal a brilliant white robe underneath, to my astonishment her skin was glowing. A faint white light seemed to be glimmering over her bare arms and shoulders. She swept her arms at the soldiers charging her, a graceful movement, and the men were thrown back with cries of astonishment and pain.

                So she really is a witch.

                I smiled, and then turned abruptly as one of my protectors went down with a scream. A frost soldier charged at me, and before I could get my sword up his club struck me in the chest. White spots burst before my eyes, and I could feel my body toppling backwards and sideways. When I hit the ground I struck my head, the helmet clanking on a rock, and more stars burst. I couldn’t breathe. Sigurd was a blur of motion above me as he kicked out at my attacker, his hooves connecting with the man's helmet. The ground was so hard under my back. Fear froze me down to my bones. Something must be broken, something in my chest. I lay still, gasping, watching as another rebel was cut down. The frost army was pressing in on all sides, clearly they intended to take me down as fast as possible.