Chapter 4

~•¤ Chapter 4 ¤•~

"Hey," I greeted as Nathan reached me. He kept silent and I told Sarah to make the white hot chocolate. He kept looking down and didn't speak. It was a bit odd but I figured that he wasn't in a mood of talking. He gave me three dollars and I put them in the cash register, and soon enough his order was ready. "Here you go." I gave him the white hot chocolate and he immediately took it and sat in his usual table.

Sarah gave me a confused look and I shrugged, but inside I was as confused as she was. I continued serving some customers, but my eyes kept glancing at Nathan. Even though he was a quiet person but surely the way he was acting wasn't normal. Sarah nudged me and said "Come on. Go before he leaves. I'll take your place."

I gave her a thankful smile and took the envelope from my backpack that was set under the counter. I walked up to him and said "Hey Nathan. You forgot this at my room." I handed him the envelope and soon, his eyes widened. He suddenly looked at me with his eyes full of worry and asked "Did you open it?"

I noticed a bruise on his left cheek right under his eye, and I wanted to ask him about it, but decided to answer his question first. "No I didn't." I shook my head. "Don't lie. Did you open it or not?" his voice was louder this time and it sent chills to my body. "No I told you I didn't!" I defended. "And what's that bruise?" I asked hesitantly. "It's nothing." he murmured and sipped on his drink.

"Did you get into a fight? I could bring some ice if yo-" "Damn it I said nothing." he suddenly raged and slammed the cup in his hand on the table, making the table soak with the drink. I jumped a bit in fear and everyone's eyes turned to us, as the place went silent. Embarrassment and fear took over me at the same time and I was in a loss of words.

"Why do you have to know everything? Don't ask about things that aren't of your business. Besides, why didn't you wake me up last night? Who told you to let me sleep and cover me with that stupid blanket?" he continued shouting and I felt tears form in my eyes. "I-I saw you s-smiling while sleep-ping and you looked c-calm, I figured t-that you were enjoying your sl-leep. Besides it was l-late and cold for y-you to leave. And I'm sorry, I just w-wanted to help." I stuttered as the tears threatened to fall.

"I'm fine. Just stay away from me, I don't need anyone's help. Specially not yours!" he said and his chest rose up and down quickly. Everyone's eyes felt like burning through my skin and it was only getting worse. He gave me a glare and didn't wait long to leave.

I stood there for about ten seconds trying to process what happened. I didn't know why he was so mad, but he had a point; maybe I should've stopped getting into others' business and minded my own.

I slowly walked back with my eyes never leaving the floor. I felt hot tears roll down my cheeks, but I wiped them away. I couldn't let anyone see me cry.

As I reached Sarah, she gave me a hug and said "I'm sorry. If I knew this would happen I wouldn't have let you go."

"I know." I mumbled and pulled away to continue the job. If my boss knew about this whole situation I would probably get fired, which was really bad considering that I needed this job.

I took a piece of cloth to wipe the table, but Sarah immediately took it from my hand and said "I'll do it." I nodded and gave her a small smile.

I swallowed the lump that formed in my throat and sucked in a deep breath, then wore one of my fake smiles.

▲••••▼••••▲••••▼••••▲••••▼

"Finally I get to go home." I muttered to myself and took my apron off. It was finally the end of the day and I couldn't wait till I got back to my sweet bed. It was eight and I was seriously tired, all my energy was spent on work. I had and extra long shift today and it practically killed me. And to top it all I was humiliated in the place I worked at.

Nathan did have a point on what he was saying, but at the same time he didn't have the right to embarrass me and shout the way he did. It actually hurt, it still did. And to be honest I was a bit curious about why he was so nervous when I gave him the envelope. What did it have that made him the way he was?

'That's none of your business, remember?' my subconscious reminded and I sighed.

"Bye Sarah." I said and collected my things. The frown was still taking over me even if it has been almost three hours since what happened. I walked out the door and I felt rain droplets soak my brown hair. I cursed to myself for forgetting to wear my beanie. It was cold and I didn't want to get sick. Especially that I was sort of a busy person.

I walked down the dark streets making my way home. My feet started to hurt as usual and I tried my best to ignore the pain. If I had a car it would have been a lot easier. I wouldn't have had to walk almost to every place I went. But life can be tough sometimes and I just had to accept the circumstances I was in.

I reached the house, and when I entered, Bob was laying asleep on the couch, which was weird since he should've been at work. Though he didn't seem okay.

"Jenny, I'm home." I called and took my boots off. My aunt appeared and walked up to me. "Hey honey. How's your day been?" she asked and hugged me. "Well, it certainly wasn't the best day of my life! " I commented, sarcasm hinting in my voice. We both walked to the kitchen and I saw two boxes of pizza placed on the table. "Ohh junk food " I muttered to myself. I was hungry because the last time I ate was at school. I sat down on the table and took a slice of pizza.

"What do you mean?" she gave me a glass of orange juice and sat across from me. "Thanks. Well I was humiliated by a customer." I told her and took a bite. I didn't want to tell her that Nathan was the customer because she would've been mad. Besides, she thoughy that he was my friend

"What happened?" she asked and a frown took over her face, making some wrinkles show on her forehead. I shrugged and said "I guess he was mad. "

"Well honey, stuff like these always happen. You can't stop at such a small problem. Life will put you in worse situations. " she lectured and took a slice for herself. Her words rang through my ears making me rethink about the whole situation. Of course I shouldn't have been making a problem from what happened. Sure humiliation hurts but there are worse things in life to worry about.

"You're right," I gave in and finished my juice. "Why's Bob here? Isn't he supposed to be at work?" I asked.
"He's not feeling well. He kept vomiting the whole time and I gave him painkillers to feel better, and now he's asleep on the couch," she said.
Knowing that she was upset from the look on her face. I gave her a smile and said, "He'll be okay. It needs some time." I got up and kissed the top of her head. "Goodnight."

As I entered my room I fell on the bed without even thinking. I was too tired to change and my eyes were heavy. The next day was gonna be a busy day and I wasn't going to let anything stop me from falling asleep.