Chapter 6

~•¤ Chapter 6 ¤•~

I couldn't believe what I had said to Nathan. Never in my life have I talked to anybody that way. I was just angry and he came up to me. I mean, if you think about it, I can't get blamed. The guy who got me in trouble tried talking to me, right after I was fired. What I did was completely normal. But now that I thought about it, he might have felt the same way when I asked him about the bruise and pushed him to talk.

I sighed and forced myself out of the bed. I wasn't able to sleep, so I walked to the kitchen silently to grab some water. On my way I saw Jenny sitting on the couch reading a book, with only the lamp beside her on. "You're still awake?" I asked and walked to her.

She looked up at me and took her reading glasses off. "I don't feel like sleeping. Why about you?" she asked as I took a place beside her on the couch.

I let out a sigh. "What happened is still on my mind," I said and looked at her hazel eyes that were full of sadness and sympathy, probably over me. "I'm sorry for disappointing you Jenny."

"Natalie, darling, I told you it's okay. It's not really your fault; I can't blame you for anything. Besides, you've been working so hard and you need some rest and time to study and have fun with your friends. I know that you had no time to see your friends and hangout with them. So it's your chance," she told me, the warm smile never leaving her face.

"What about the expenses-"

She cut me off by saying, "Don't worry about anything. Everything will be okay."  I wanted to believe her, but I could see sadness in her eyes. I knew that she was just saying that to make me feel better, although it was a problem to her. I nodded and smiled at her.

"Come here," she said and patted her lap. I grinned and put my head on her lap. She started playing with my hair just like the old days. My eyes shut close at her touch and I couldn't feel more relaxed.

"Remember the lullaby I used to sing to you when you were little?" she asked and brushed her fingers through my hair locks.

"Of course I do!

Hush, little baby, don't say a word.

Papa's gonna buy you a mockingbird

And if that mockingbird won't sing,

Papa's gonna buy you a diamond ring," I sang silently as Jenny giggled. We both started singing it together.

"And if that diamond ring turns brass,

Papa's gonna buy you a looking glass

And if that looking glass gets broke,

Papa's gonna buy you a billy goat

And if that billy goat won't pull,

Papa's gonna buy you a cart and bull

And if that cart and bull turn over,

Papa's gonna buy you a dog named Rover

And if that dog named Rover won't bark

Papa's gonna buy you a horse and cart

And if that horse and cart fall down,

You'll still be the sweetest little baby in town." We finished and I felt myself slowly drifting off. I haven't had one of those comfortable nights since a long time, and I was thanking God I was having it right now.

▼••••▲••••▼••••▲••••▼••••▲

I was sitting on a bench in a park, my backpack beside me and a cup of hot chocolate in my hand. I just came back from school and didn't feel like sitting at home doing nothing, and I had no homework. So I decided to spend some time here, watching little kids play together.

They looked so cute, and I felt like playing with them. But of course it would be creepy considering that I was seventeen years old and they were only five or six. I laughed at the thought of chasing them and cuddled into myself more. I needed warmth and the weather wasn't helping.

As I was remembering Marie's reaction today when I told her about me getting fired, one of the little kids that were playing fell on the ground. My eyes widened as I saw her balling her eyes out in pain. Her friends didn't know what to do but to look at her, so I got up and walked to her.

"Are you okay?" I asked the little brunette and ducked down to her level. She rubbed her eyes and shook her head, her curly locks moving along. "Come here," I said and opened my arms for her. She stood up and slowly walked into my arms. I carried her and sat her on the bench, then leaned in front of her. "Where's the pain?" I asked. She gestured to her elbow and I immediately rolled her sleeve up and saw a small cut on it.

I smiled and slightly kissed it. "It'll be better. Just stop crying, okay?" I said and brushed the hair that fell over her eyes.

She nodded and said "Thank you, ma'am."

I chuckled at how cute and polite she was and said, "I'm Natalie. You can call me Nat."

"Okay Nat. I'm Elizabeth. My friends call me Eli," she said innocently with a small smile on her face.

"Nice to meet you Eli. Now you can play with your friends, they're waiting for you," I told her and pointed at her friends that were waiting impatiently for her.

She nodded and jumped off of the bench. I sat back and looked at Eli standing with whom seemed to be her mother. They both looked happy, and I wished I could've spent more time with my parents before they passed away. I missed them a lot, much more than I could explain.

The thought of me visiting their graves crossed my mind, and I stood up to walk to the grave yard. But before I could leave, Eli and her mom walked up to me.

"It's Natalie, right?" the mom asked and I nodded. "I want to thank you for helping Elizabeth out a while ago. We appreciate it." She smiled at me and I turned it back.

"It's nothing, really. Elizabeth is really cute, and I hope we could be friends," I said and looked at Eli, who had a grin that showed the gap between her front teeth.

"Yes! I'd love to be friends with you," Eli shrieked and hugged my legs since she was short and she couldn't reach anywhere farther than my thighs. Both me and her mom giggled at her cuteness and she pulled away.

"I'm Veronica, by the way. Her mom," her mom introduced and stretched out her hand.

I shook it and said, "Nice to meet you."

"Well, if you excuse us, Natalie, Elizabeth now has an appointment at the dentist," Veronica said and looked at Eli, who pouted her lips and stomped the floor with her feet.

"I don't want to go!" Elizabeth crossed her arms and frowned.

"Come on, Elizabeth. We don't want to have the talk again," her mother commanded and took her hand. "We'll see you later Natalie. Goodbye." Veronica said and I waved at them.

"Goodbye," I said and took my backpack. I decided to walk back home first to shower and change, then go to the cemetery. But as I came close to the house, I saw a figure standing in the yard. I couldn't see who it was at first, but as I got closer, I realized who they were.

Oh no, you have to be kidding me!