Blaming Cupid - Chapter Fifteen

B L A M I N G
C U P I D
15. Harriet

I spent the rest of the weekend with a shitty hangover and a terrible ache in my heart. The entirety of the two days was involved in sleeping till noon, stuffing my face with junk food and crying to sappy romance movies. 

My mother was the first person to greet me at the door that night. It seemed like she had a whole lecture prepared, but the second she saw my puffy face, she took me in her arms and held me tight as I sobbed.

To sum it all up, my weekend was awful.

I felt so weak and cowardly when I witnessed Everett and Mia, I should've confronted him, threw a couple of punches at his face whilst I was at it, but I guess not everything goes how you want it to. I've never truly felt as stupid as I did two nights ago, standing there silently, watching them. I should have known better, guys like him don't just change overnight. Even if I did confront him, I bet he would blame it on being drunk. In no way is alcohol an excuse to lose control over yourself and cheat on your girlfriend. 

The fact that Everett has no idea I'm aware of his true colours pisses me off. He really had the audacity to text me the next morning, asking if I could come over to make him feel better and get over his 'painful hangover'. What an asshole! 

I can feel the anger crawling inside me, boiling deep in my system. My hand clasps around my hair brush tightly and I let my temper get the best of me, throwing my brush at the mirror with all force. The glass smashes and crumbles into tiny pieces over my dressing table. I stare at my reflection in the remnants of broken glass, my lips curving up into a satisfied smile.

The door bursts open and Kai runs in with a curious look schooled into his features. "What the fuck was that?" his eyes slowly trail to my mirror, "You did that?"

"It was an accident," I tell him.

He sends me a concerned look, raising an eyebrow, "What's the matter, Hattie?"

I stand up and walk over to my wardrobe, grabbing my school tie, "Nothing," I mumble, adjusting it around my collar.

"You're a terrible liar," he replies. 

I sigh, "Look I don't want to talk about it," 

Kai frowns, "But we never keep secrets."

"I know, I'll tell you when I feel like it," I promise.

"Sure thing" he returns a soft smile and turns to leave, before poking his head around my door, "Oh and I hope you had a great time kissing my girlfriend last night."

I can't help but let a playful smile fall over my features, "I did!" I retort.

After he leaves, I finish getting ready for school and make my way downstairs to the kitchen. I enter and take a seat at the dining table, biting into the toast mum has prepared. 

She sends a smile over, "You okay?"

I nod, bringing the glass of orange juice to my lips. 

Kai notices the unusualness lingering in the air and his gaze flickers between us. "Mum, did you seriously just ask if she's okay?"