Blaming Cupid - Chapter One

B L A M I NG
C U P I D
1. Harriet

"Well, here's our stop, hell."

My eyes flutter open as the car stops. I lift my head up and yawn, running a hand over the pink crease marks lining my cheek.

I look towards my best friend, Lea and follow her gaze, being greeted by the worn, red-bricked building of Meadow Hill High School. The familiar, gut-wrenching nausea of back-to-school hits me.

High school is nothing but a failed experiment in preparing teenagers for the adult world that's poorly run by a team of idiots, also known as principles, deputies, counsellors and teachers.

Most of it isn't even spent learning but involves attempting to find friends who aren't complete cunts, trying to unsuccessfully hook up with people of the opposite and same-sex, combing your hair, growing acne, and on top of all of that, you have to act like nothing is wrong in your life.

Well, suck it up, boo, this year will be a good one. Yet, anything can be good compared to last year.

I let out another yawn and wipe away the trickle of drool at my mouth which I could only blame Damon Salvatore for.

All I want is for this year to roll smoothly. A peaceful, orderly year, involving studying hard to get good grades and excluding boy drama, as boring as it can get.

My other best friend, Grace rolls her eyes, "Stop being such a moody Margaret. High school is good."

I stare at her incredulously at the same time Lea scoffs, "It's only good for you seeing as how the last term you shagged the entire football team."

Grace lets out a small giggle. She playfully smacks Lea's arm and then gasps, "Lea! OMG! That is so not true."

"OMG, that is so not true," Lea mimics in a high-pitched tone.

Grace narrows her eyes at her, "I don't sound like that, you bitch," she grumbles.

Lea's lips tug upward into a smirk, "Of course not, you sound worse."

"Oh, whatever Trevor!" Grace retorts.

I cut in, "We haven't even made it through the front doors yet and you're already bickering. Quit it."

"She started it!" Grace accuses.

Lea snorts, "So what?"

I let out a sigh and throw my backpack on.

Suddenly, the rain begins to spit.

I groan. "It's already pissin' it. For fuck sake."

The horrid weather in England will surely be the death of me.

I start to walk down the pathway that leads to the entrance. Grace and Lea follow on, hot on my heels.

The three of us have been best friends ever since the day we realised we shared the same hatred towards some girl in our nursery. It was an instant connection that grew strong over the years.

Lea is a tall brunette. Her dark brown hair compliments her tan complexion and suits her dark eyes well. She's rather violent compared to me and Grace, I've already lost count of the number of fights she was in last year.  Despite her usual cold attitude, she's a nice person. Grace is the complete opposite. A platinum blonde who's boy-crazy and drama hungry. Her character is typically loud and energetic. Being the only child, she's always been spoilt and I'm convinced her good looks have never failed her in getting with any boy she fancies.