Chapter 27

Chapter 27

Entering the room with David and Rikki proved to be one of the hardest things I had ever done in my life. My best friend was laying on the bed, looking about as white as a ghost. At the sound of the door opening, he turned his head and met my watery gaze. He smiled slightly, motioning with the arm that wasn't draped around Rikki for me to come closer. Walking carefully over to him so that I wouldn't stumble, I sank to the ground next to the bed. The sound of the door easing closed told me that Logan had followed me in as well, and then he was kneeling down beside me.

Reaching forward, I took one of David's hands in both of mine. "How are you feeling?" I whispered.

"As best as I can for knowing I'm going to die soon," he said in a voice that was so weak I had to lean in close to be able to hear him.

"Be strong, Dave," I told him, brushing his chestnut fringe out of his eyes.

"I should be telling you that," he said, a smile teasing around his cracked lips. "You have to keep it together, Torian. For yourself as well as for the sake of the pack." His head turned away from me as he looked down at Rikki where her head was buried in the crook of his neck. "And for her sake," he murmured.

"I will. I promise." Leaning forward, I kissed his forehead. His skin was damp and clammy under my lips. "I also promise to kill Xander myself," I swore, my voice dripping with venom. The handle that I had on my anger was miniscule, but I was keeping it under control as best I could.

His eyes turned back to me, the once bright and lively tawny color a dull brown. "I know you can do it, Tor."

Nodding, I released his hand which he then wrapped around Rikki. Logan, as silent as ever, moved us so that I was leaning my back against his chest. Silence enveloped the cramped bedroom and I took that time to study it. The walls were the color of sand and the carpet was thick and white. David's headboard was pushed against a wall with multiple monitors and machines Dr. Walker had set up surrounding him.

Before long David's breathing slowed and evened out, meaning he had fallen asleep.

"I hope he's not in too much pain," I whispered to Logan, clutching the hand he had draped around my waist for dear life.

"He shouldn't be," he told me, kissing my hair.

"How can you be so sure?"

"Dr. Walker gave him something for the pain."

"Oh," I murmured, allowing myself to fully relax against him. "Logan?"

"Yes?" he asked, his arms constricting around me tightly as a feeling of undeniable security washed over me.

"I'm scared," I admitted, my voice barely audible even to my own ears.

But, of course, he heard me anyway.

"I know, Torian," he said on a sigh, the breath that wafted across my neck sending shivers down my spine. "But you don't have to be," he whispered as he kissed my temple. "You don't have to be scared of anything ever again. I'm always going to be here for you through thick and thin. Whether you need it or not, I'm here to protect you." His once reassuring voice had turned deadly serious as he spoke, but there was a certain compassion and tenderness in it that melted my heart and caused my eyes to well with tears.

"Thank you, Logan," I said, turning in his arms so that I was curled up in his lap. A few traitorous tears leaked out as my arms wrapped around his neck. A smile graced my lips as he kissed away the tears, his lips barely brushing against the sensitive skin. "Thank you for putting up with me."

"Torian, these past months have shown me that I'd rather fight for you than even think about being with anyone else."

His touching words caused my breathing to hitch. Pulling back just enough to meet his eyes, I watched as the emerald color that had always captivated me began to smolder. My heart rate jumped to stroke level and Logan – with his shifter enhanced hearing – heard the change of pace and smiled.