Chapter 16

Chapter 16

When I woke up the next morning, the soft twittering of birds and sun on my face almost put me back to sleep. Opening my eyes, I was once again met with the brilliance of the clearing. A contented sigh slipped past my lips as I sat up and stretched. Realizing I was still only in my bra and underwear from swimming the night before, my entire face flushed scarlet. Scurrying over to where I had left it, I slipped back into the sundress before returning to Logan's side. Not wanting to actually be up yet, I huddled close to Logan's chest again, unintentionally waking him up. "Sorry," I whispered as his eyes blinked open.

"It's alright. Good morning," he said before yawning.

"Morning," I replied with a smile.

He sat up, pulling me with him. "Ready to go home?" he asked, not \ sounding happy about the idea.

Home? My whole body froze. Where was home anymore? I had been on the run for so long . . . I turned and looked into Logan's eyes and I just knew. I had finally found where I belonged.

But that didn't mean I was ready to accept the mate claim yet.

Smiling, I nodded in response to his question. "Yeah, let's go."

He stood, holding out a hand for me. When I took it, he gently hoisted me to my feet. Bending over, he picked up the baskets we had deposited the night before and carried them in his right hand, standing straight and claiming my hand in his left. We walked in a comfortable silence through the trees, our hands swinging leisurely back and forth between us. We were only a few minutes away from the pack house when the feeling hit me. Something was wrong.

Very wrong.

One look at Logan told me he felt it too. The baskets fell to the ground as we both broke out into a full out sprint for the house that was quickly approaching. I was the first one to reach it and I wrenched the door open. Crossing over the threshold, I halted when I realized both packs were gathered in the living room. Nicholas and Kenna included. All of them wore identical expressions of grief. Logan appeared behind me and surveyed the scene as well. Taking tentative steps, I crossed until I could lay a gentle hand on David's shoulder. "What happened?" I asked, my quiet whisper sounding like a gunshot in the deathly silence.

Nicholas turned towards me, his face looking old and worn. "They're dead," he stated.

I blinked a few times as my mouth went dry. Who?

"Who, Dad?" Logan asked my unvoiced question.

Logan's father stared his son dad in the eyes. "Half of our pack," he said, causing me to gasp and cover my mouth. "Most of young ones and their families. Just gone. Murdered." Nicholas looked around the room, making eye contact with everyone in the combined packs. "We're part of the very small number of wolves left."

"How many?" I asked, unable to believe what I was hearing.

"Thirty-two," Kenna whispered.

My eyes widened in disbelief. Thirty-two?

Thirty-two?

In one day so many of Logan's pack had been wiped out. Young wolves who had probably just started to live their lives. Their families who had lived on this land for generations. It was horrible. I could hear Logan speaking with his father, but I was too lost in my own thoughts to register much of what was being said. The words seemed like they were coming to me through water. How could this have happened? What possible monster could have done something like this? Just then, a word from Logan and Nicholas's conversation carried to me. Vampire. The realization hit me harder than a freight train.

Xander.

My back collided with the wall as I slid down it. Logan's eyes snapped to me and he was in front of me in an instant. "Torian, what's wrong?" he asked, his voice and eyes worried.

"This is all my fault," I muttered, covering my mouth.

"How could this possibly be your fault?" he inquired, pulling my hands away from my face.

"Xander," I murmured, looking up into his eyes.

Comprehension dawned on Logan's face and rage burned in his eyes. "I'm going to kill that son of a bitch," he snarled, moving towards the door.

"Logan no!" I pleaded, jumping up and rushing after him. When I grabbed ahold of his arm, he glanced down at me. "Not by yourself. He's almost impossible to beat on his own. And he's not alone. It'd be a suicide mission."

Logan's eyes searched mine before he sighed in defeat. He slid his hand into mine, pulling me with him over to the couch. He sat me between him and David, who threw an arm over my shoulder.

"It's not your fault, Tor," David whispered.

"Yes, it is. Yesterday when Logan and I were out Xander found us. He was already mad that I was there with Logan and then, I . . . I made him even angrier than he already was. He stormed off." My gaze darted around the room before finally resting on Logan's parents. "I am so sorry."

"Tori," Kenna called. When I looked up, her eyes softened. "You couldn't have possibly known what he was planning."

"Still."

"Don't blame yourself," Logan murmured, squeezing my hand.

"Alright."

An eerie silence settled over the room. It only took a few minutes before Ashlyn spoke up. "Guys, how are we supposed to fight a war with only us?" she asked, voicing the question we were all wondering.

In those few moments I made a hard decision. Even though I didn't want to do it, we needed it.

Bad.

Standing from the couch, I made my way into the kitchen. Logan trailed after me as I picked up the landline phone with shaking hands. He placed his hands over mine, his warmth radiating throughout my ice-cold body.

"Ma vie, what're you doing?" he asked, searching my eyes. "What's wrong?"

Sighing, I pulled my grasp out of his and dialed the familiar number I had never quite forgotten. Putting the phone to my ear, I gave him what I hoped was a reassuring smile. "Nothing's wrong. Just calling in reinforcements."

Logan gave me a curious look but didn't press the subject. Biting my lip, I listened anxiously as the phone started to ring.

Once.

Twice.

Three times.

Four.

They're not going to pick up . . .

"Hello?" the gravelly voice I had never hoped to hear again answered.

"Hi, Dad," I said, icicles dripping off my voice.

____________________________________________________

Bumbum BUUUUMMMMM

So, here it is!

Comment!

Vote!

Possibly Become A Fan?

Thanks for reading, hope you enjoyed it! =]

<3Always

-KC

PS! If you guys could check out my new story  Death of Me and give me your feedback I'd really appreciate it, I don't know whether to continue with it or not :\