Chapter 21

Chapter 21

"Female instinct," I said with a slight smile as I turned back to the stove. Logan muttered grimly under his breath and I couldn't help but laugh at him. As soon as the final batch of pancakes was finished I slid them all onto a plate and deposited it with the others on the counter. When I glanced up to meet Logan's eyes, I found he was already watching me. Blinking repeatedly, I absently raised a hand to my face. "What?" I questioned. He stood and made his way around the counter. He only stopped when he was merely a centimeter away from me and framed my face in his hands.

"You're beautiful," he whispered before covering my lips with his own. Sighing, I slipped my arms around his neck at the same time one of his snaked around my waist, pulling my body flush against his.

"Holy shit!" the familiar voice squealed. Turning, I located Ashlyn where she was standing in the doorway to the kitchen. A small smirk that I didn't trust in the slightest overtook her features. "I walked in at just the right time. Another minute and you two would have set off the fire alarm," she mused, wagging her eyebrows at me as she snagged a piece of bacon.

"Ash, shut up. Jake will hear you," I warned, struggling to keep my blush under control.

"What'll I hear?" the bottle-blonde asked, walking into the room as if he had timed it. Setting Ashlyn's coffee in front of her, I shot her a warning look that she returned with a mischievous grin.

"That I walked in on your sister and her mate getting it on," she told my brother, batting her eyelashes.

"What?" Jacob exclaimed, his jaw dropping open. With a sheepish smile, I slipped nonchalantly behind Logan. I poked my head around his arm to talk to Jacob.

"Want some coffee?" I asked, avoiding his question as I placed a mug of coffee in Logan's hands.

My brother gave me a hard stare. "You're avoiding the question, Rin."

"I don't know what you're talking about," I said.

"What did Ashlyn walk in on?" he asked, rolling his eyes as Ashlyn snorted.

"She walked in on me kissing my mate," Logan said, beating me to it. His jaw clenched in annoyance. He threw Ashlyn a dirty look, and I didn't even feel sorry for her.

Jacob glared at him. "Really? Because the way Rin's avoiding it makes it seem a lot worse," he spat, taking a step towards Logan.

"Well it wasn't," Logan snapped, stepping forward as well. If I didn't intervene soon, the fur was going to fly.

"Jake!" I said, tempted to laugh at their immaturity. "I'm not a little girl anymore. So even if it was more – which it wasn't – it's none of your business. Logan's my mate and we can do whatever we want."

"Just please tell me you're still a virgin?" he asked seriously.

"Jacob!" I squealed; my face flushing completely scarlet. Ashlyn literally fell off her chair laughing, and Logan started to join in, but covered it with a cough when I glared at him.

"Well?" my nosy brother pressed.

"If you really must know, yes," I snapped, shooting him an acid look. "When you're on the run for your life from your psychotic family you don't really have time to fuck around." I whipped around and stalked off before he could retort. I stopped at the sliding glass door that lead to the back yard. Leaning my head against the cool glass, I waited impatiently for the burning in my cheeks to subside. The other occupants of the house slowly began to filter into the room and take their places around the table.

Logan told them to help themselves to the meal I had prepared and then I heard his light footsteps as he came up behind me and wrapped his strong arms around my waist.