Chapter 26

Chapter 26: Arriving in Lafayette

After reading, Delilah left to get more lemonade. Emily sat and listened to the town and the rain that would come and go like a breeze. She ran her hands through the sand. She thought about back home and how it is all coarse rocky sand or mud. She glanced down at the newspaper. In the corner were the words "our world" and showed an outline of the south-east united states. The different worlds had denied each other's existence. Surely Emily couldn't of been the only one?

In the distance were bugs that lit up. Delilah slammed the screen door behind her.

"It feels good to be out here," Delilah said. She swat at her leg. "A real summer night."

"What are those called again? The bugs with the light?" Emily said. She didn't really forget them. She had never seen them before.

"Lightning bugs," Delilah said.

"Oh yeah, that's right," Emily said. She watched as one flew near her. It's light getting brighter and brighter.

They watched it as it landed near Emily, when suddenly it exploded into a little flame.

"That's lightning bugs for you," Delilah said. "Did you ever put them in your house when little? I would do that all the time. Didn't realize how dangerous it was..."

"Yeah sometimes," Emily said. The south wasn't quite like what she read in school.

"Hm I think we need something to eat," Delilah said.

"Let's go. I think we pasted a restaurant on our way earlier," Emily said. They stood up from the porch. The idea of leaving somewhere without her computer and phone were relaxing to her.

"This is probably the second time I've been out of town," Delilah said.

"Ever?" Emily asked.

"Yup," Delilah said.

"Really? But you're so close to all of this. Why not?" Emily asked.

"I don't know," Delilah said. "I just can't remember if I ever have."

"But you know so much about the area," Emily said.

"Yeah," Delilah said. They took the sidewalk down and around, out of the neighborhood and to the main street. The neon sign was lit "The Artmosphere." When they got in front of the place, they noticed the building was a blue Victorian house that had been converted into a restaurant. They could hear music playing and there were cars parked around. They went inside and sat at the bar. There were a few menus on the table.

"Let's order some food," Emily said. They sat in silence while the band began to set up on stage.

"What are they playing?" Emily asked the bartender.

"Zydeco," the bartender said, wiping down the bar in front of them. They ordered some sandwiches and drinks. The band started and immediately, there were a few couples on the dance floor. Emily was fixated on the Zydeco dancing. Never had she been so interested in dancing before. This felt new and exciting. The song ended and the people dancing and standing watch were clapping. A man who was dancing came up to the table behind them and drank some water. He was tan and looked like he was in his early 30s. The waitress returned with some drinks for Emily and Delilah.

"Sis you gotta get me a drink," the man said, blowing a kiss to the a lady across the bar.

"What are we going to do once we're in New Orleans?" Delilah asked.

"Find your family right? I'm looking for someone there too," Emily said.

"Who?" Delilah asked.