Chapter 29

Chapter 29

The rain was still coming down hard. The wind had subsided and gusts came in. The humidity rang every few moments. They reached the apartment complex and entered the lobby very quickly, but it had felt much longer than this. They wiped their feet and followed Michael up to the elevator to the eight floor. When the doors opened, it opened to the apartment's waiting room. The apartment was modern with industrial trendy designed lightbulb holders made of aluminum and steel, but had charm. It was old and the city's once great impression was left on this place. There were dusty rugs, light fixtures, chandeliers, and drapes which lightened and warmed up the cold industrial feel of the place. Michael went straight to the kitchen and got food out. Emily set her coat down, and Brian put the umbrella down by the door. Delilah did the same.

She left Brian to look around while she went into the kitchen. She watched Michael lay cheese and crackers on the table in kitchen island.

"Where's my dad?" Delilah asked. "What's our plan?"

"He offered to come to find you, but he wanted me to go first. He left Kat and Sue in charge. He's here in New Orleans but I haven't seen him all day " Michael said. "He'd want to see you as soon as possible. He' s been asking about you the whole time we've been here." Michael took a gulp of water.

"We really thought that when we didn't hear from you that you made it here already..." Michael said. "I told him him that I thought you girls came back home to find everyone had gone to New Orleans. I knew that would happen" Michael said, slapping his leg.

"Where do you think my dad is now?" Delilah said.

Michael ran away suddenly and started opening doors of the kitchen and the desk by the kitchen.

"What are you doing?" Emily asked Michael. Michael grabbed a tablet.

"I'm going to give you the address," Michael said. "It's across the street and down the block. It's easy to find. I'm pretty sure he's there."

Delilah grabbed it and gave Michael a hug. "Thanks," she said. Michael got uncomfortable. He didn't seem to touch people often.

"Okay, okay," he said.

"Do you want to come with? Emily? Brian?" she asked. Emily grabbed more crackers.

"I'm good," Brian said. He sat at the kitchen table and looked out the window.

"I think I'll stay here too," she said. "But I don't think you should go by yourself."

"You shouldn't go by yourself," Michael said. "I'll come with. Just hold on a moment." Michael went to get his coat. Delilah grabbed her coat and Emily handed her the umbrella.

"I'll meet you in the lobby," Michael said to Delilah. "I need to grab a couple things here first." Delilah groaned.

"Fine," Delilah said. She went out the door near the apartment entrance. Meanwhile Emily and Brian ate and drank some water. Emily turned on the news while Michael was stuffing his backpack with things such as rope, cables, and batteries.

Brian stared out the window. Emily went on the couch and watched the news. The apartment was sound proof, and cheerful. It was nearly impossible to hear the rain or the noise of outside.

"What's Larry doing anyway?" Emily asked.

"He's helping out people," Michael said. "What else?"

Emily laughed. "Okay."

"I'm heading out," Michael said. He left and went down the elevator.

"I'm just going to sit here," Emily said. The news was still playing in the background but it was quiet and distant.

"I'll be here, I'm just going to close my eyes," Brian said. Out of the corner of her eyes, she looked at Brian. He was fast asleep.

***

Michael came back up alone. The door slammed because of a gust of wind. Emily woke up and sat up straight. Brian was not such a light sleeper.

"How was Larry?" Emily asked.

"Good. We towed a car that was flooded, I think we got some more people out of the flooded area. You know, New Orleans use to be much larger fifty years ago because the changes happened..." Michael said. "Is Delilah asleep?"

"We thought she was with you?"

"She's not down there. Is she up here?" Michael said.

"No she hasn't come up," Emily said. Brian began to stir awake.

"Well I'm going to look for her. Maybe she started already," Michael said. "Something could of happened." 
"I saw her leave the building and walk down to the corner with you," Brian said. "What happened when you were there?"

"Well we were helping her dad, and there were a lot of families there, and traffic guards, people like that. I saw her talk to her dad, then she left. I thought he sent her home. She was walking with someone from the direction of the apartment," Michael said.

Emily looked out the window. The freeway was still backed up but cars were starting to move. All of the sudden, a few pigs and dogs appeared on the street. They were barking and squealing. Michael, Emily and Brian were all watching out the window.

"That was from earlier on the freeway, right?" Brian said.

"What the hell," Michael said, looking down on the street. "She shouldn't of left."

"I'm going to call her," Emily said. Emily dialed her number, but it rang until it went to voicemail.

"I'm going to go find her," Michael said. "I don't know what is out there, but there's a lot of panicked people and now I'm one of them. Ugh, why does she do this!" He pressed the elevator button and got in. Emily looked at Brian.

"Do you want something else to drink?" Emily asked.

"Nope," Brian said.

"How about some wine?" Emily said. She pulled out some glasses that were neither wine glasses or fancy glasses.

"Sure," Brian said. She poured him a full glass to the rim. He came to the kitchen island and sat down.

"What's this?" Brian asked. He picked up Emily's bag. It had the black sand on it.

"This package appeared at Donald's house the same day we found him, and the same day all the strange things started happening with the animals, then we were covered in all this stuff. Bizarre. I can't get it out of my bag. I shake my bag out but it's so stubborn."

"Check this out. I saw it in the bathroom," Brian said. He left for the bathroom and came back wth an abalone shell. Inside was black sand, identical in color and consistency from Emily's bag.

"Odd stuff," Emily said. "Let's have some wine."