Chapter 27

Chapter 27: The Rescue

They sat in the bus, Emily and Delilah in the front seats. The seats were worn and impressed in. Ann sat in the front and adjusted her mirrors and stroked her hanging cross that hung over her left mirror. Ann looked at them in the mirror above her head. "There's a few ways we can take," Ann said. "The first we should try is the 10. If that is closed, then the 11 might be too. If both are closed, we'll try the Causeway. If that is closed, then we have a lot of re-routing to do."

"Every way sounds long," Emily said.

"Well we don't have much of a choice," Delilah said. The rain and thunder continued.

"We just need to make it to New Orleans," Emily said. She looked out the window. There were many cars parked on the sides of the roads surrounding the entrances to New Orleans.

"Either way, we need to go over water to get there," Ann said. The wind was getting stronger and it was starting to push the bus slightly.

"Crack the windows," Ann said. Emily got up and pulled some windows down. Near the Highway 10 bridge, there were blockades. The police and traffic guards were diverting traffic further north.

"Well the 10 is out. The Causeway it is," Ann said. The decision was made and they were on their way.

As they drove by, there were some cars floating in the water. They went under a bridge, but as they were driving, the bus continued to drive. Emily could feel the bus's engine run and it tried to tread water. The water level was too high. They came to a stop. Up ahead there were other cars stuck in the tunnel. Emily noticed them rise and fall. They were floating on top of the water.

"This doesn't look good," Ann said. She turned the wheel and tried to navigate around the cars. "I think we need to turn around," Emily said. The bus's wheels started to lift from the ground.

"I don't like this," Delilah said. Ann turned the wheel hard to the left, but the bus continued to float. It tapped the stone wall and sent Emily and Delilah out of their seats. Ann opened the doors.

"We need to leave the bus," she said. Ann jumped out of the bus. Delilah and Emily followed after her. The water was low enough where they could all walk. Emily carried her bag over her head. Delilah carried Ginger and her purse over her's. The three of them made it to the opening of the tunnel.

"I feel like our clothes are a mixed of dirty rainwater and car exhaust," Delilah said. "What should we do now for a ride?"

"I don't know. I'm really screwed," Ann said. She was wiping tears from her face.

"Won't the company replace the bus?" Emily asked.

"They should," Ann said. "But they won't." They walked to the barricade and the police gave them a few towels and asked Ann some questions. Emily and Delilah stuck their fingers through Ginger's cage to comfort her.

"How are we going to get a ride to New Orleans?" Delilah said, hugging the towel around her shoulders. Emily thought about it. While they were waiting, Emily's teeth began to chatter.

"You cold?" Delilah asked.

"No just nervous," Emily said. She watched the cars pass by the tunnel. Now the tunnel was blocked and no cars could get in. A bright car passed by the tunnel. Through the window, Emily could of sworn she saw her mom's silhouette! Emily dropped her towel and started walking towards the car. A few cars honked and police tapped her on the shoulder but didn't do anything about it. She was about to approach the car as it turned. There was red hair she thought pressed against the window. Someone else was in the driver's seat. Suddenly the familiar woody station wagon pulled up in front of the tunnel. Emily was caught off guard.