Chapter 2 - Five Years Later

"Emily honey, do you remember when the circus was in town at the amphitheater? She told everyone it was for her birthday and the people around us laughed. We were probably the only ones to forget our devices at home, but that didn't stop us from having an experience. Instead of being stuck to the screen, we snuck down to stand where the performers were. No body was there. It was invigorating to be there in person. I could feel the air from the acrobat's flight hit my face. I hadn't felt that since I was a little girl. The country was a lot different back then. Wasn't it nice just having an experience, Ems?" Emily's mother, Aileen said, staring at Emily with her turquoise eyes and her legs crossed comfortably on the suede couch.

"Yes mom," Emily said. Emily stood up and rolled her eyes on the way to the kitchen. Emily pressed a button to brew coffee with milk that left swirls of foam on top and took her phone out to check work email. She could hear her mom continue as she answered some questions from the tech company she programmed for. It was always busy before a deadline.

Emily came out of the doorway. Her mother's business attire was still on. Emily couldn't remember the last time she saw her mom in casual clothes or without her bright red hair tied up in a tight ponytail.

"Do you want more to drink Will?" Aileen asked, ignoring Emily.

"No, no. This is fine, thanks," William said. "How are the designs going?"

"The company is contemplating new designs for the Chevy model. But that's a long ways away," Aileen said.

"Can't wait for it," William said. "Soon we'll be touring in something stylish for once." He sipped some more tea. "Speaking of which, I should get going for our rehearsal." William stood up.

"I'll walk you out," Emily said, standing up with him. William hugged Aileen and Emily walked him out through the living room door. Emily and William walked to the elevator.

"I'll try to call you later after band rehearsal," William said. He gave her a kiss and he pressed the elevator button. They waited for the elevator to come up. The doors opened.

"Love you too," he said. Emily waved.

***

When Emily went into the living room, her mom was gone. The kitchen-aides were cleaning the dishes and picking up or sweeping crumbs from the couch and floor or table. Her mom and her didn't spend a lot of time alone together, and tonight wouldn't be an exception. Ginger was purring and rubbing the cleaning-units and getting in their way. It made Emily laugh. Emily started another cup of coffee and went to her room to work as well. It was a typical night in the Stevenson household. She turned some music on and began to work on her programming job for a client, and at the same time, checked her calls. Emily escaped deep into her work. It calmed her. William was deep into band rehearsal now and getting ready for their next tour that will be bigger and longer than the last one. She laid down and leaned on her pillow stared blankly out the window and into the city lights and night sky.

***

She woke up to eyes. The memory of the strange warning from the boy thinking it was her mom and then her father's sudden heart attack that killed him were in her thoughts. The events were too weird. She rubbed her face and sat up. She missed the windows and shades her dad installed to their house that he designed. The windows had UV protection and shade. When her dad was a little boy he would tell her about sleeping with the nighttime-sun and how him and his brother would sleep with shirts over their eyes. She opened the sliding glass door to the balcony and Emily sat on one of the two lounge chairs and looked out. The Dome was an exciting and strange place. Their floor was high up in one of the tallest buildings that also was owned by the car company her mom still worked for. Her room was beginning to look like a cocoon with work papers and mugs spread throughout her space. She clicked her button and the cleaning-unit came and she watched it carefully pick up her room from the balcony. It was a small robot labeled B.E.C.C.I. which stood for bionic engineered computing cleaning instrument. Emily nicknamed her "Becky."

"Becky," Emily said. The small robot with silver and red curves, shorter than Emily's knees came rolling out of the corner.

"Yes Emily," Becky responded.

"Pick up and organized work papers. Take dishes to the kitchen and vacuum floors." Becky went straight to work. She watched the bot clean and tidy the room. Emily went to her computer.

"You are the best," Emily said to Becky.

"Thank you Em-uhl-lee," Becky said. After a few minutes, Emily heard a knock on her door. She went into her room and opened the door.

"Hey honey," Aileen said. "I want to let you know that I'm going to take a business trip in a few days."

"Okay, how long will you be gone?" Emily asked.

"A few weeks, maybe a month. I'll call and let you know," Aileen said. Emily was use to this.

"Okay well where are you going?" Emily asked.

"The usual places, San Francisco. Tacoma," Aileen said.

"Alright," Emily said. Aileen turned away and Emily shut the door. She could here her mom still at the door, but after a few moments, Aileen walked down the hallway. Emily could of opened the door, but she decided not to.