Chapter 11

When Emily walked out of the kitchen, Michael was already at the computer busy in work. Emily looked around for Larry. Brian said he knew who could help her with her type of car out here in Mississippi. The Crescent was quiet, and she didn't know where to look.

"Where's Larry?" Emily asked Michael.

"He's probably outside in the garage or in his office," Michael said, pointing to another door next to the lobby. She walked up to the office door and knocked. No answer. She opened the door, but no one was in there. On his desk were many picture frames. It was hard to find space left on the desk. Emily glanced over at the picture. Most of them were of Delilah. Emily waited but Larry didn't appear so she stepped outside on the porch. It was strange going outside without feeling the strong heat of the sun. Why did people think the South was gone? She could feel everything. Even the humidity that's pressure hit her like bucket of water was nice. It was nice to feel something. Even early in the morning, there was lots of life outside and creatures stirring and buzzing. She walked around the porch and it was a long walk because it wrapped around a large portion of the hotel. She was astonished by how large it was and intricate the architecture hidden from view. There was wood and it was carved into the walls and support sconces. It looked like something out of a movie that she watched at home. The Crescent reminded her of a time when things were done differently, where someone could go out and sit on a deck without fear of cancer and protective gear. It felt like a time her parents and grandparents talked out and would reminisce about. Emily gazed out in the yard. didn't see Larry outside, so she walked back through the lobby, and into the dining area, and took a seat. There was lots of round seats with red leather cushions, and the bar wasn't lit but there were many bottles sitting there, illuminated by the lights and mirrors behind it. She saw Larry in the reflection of the bottles thinking it was a picture. Emily turned around just in case. Emily jumped back for a moment.

"You're ready to go get your car?" Larry said. He was wearing shorts and a light wind-breaker jacket and his hair was shifted to the side that looked like it was from sleep.

"Yes," Emily said. They walked outside and around side of the Crescent to the garage. Inside the garage was filled with materials, and things were tacked on the walls. Larry got into the truck and started it. He got in and opened the door for Emily.

"It doesn't work on the outside," Larry said. Emily smiled and got into his truck and pulled out of the garage. It was an old Ford that Emily had seen a couple of times here and there in California. The seats were high and the car was bumpy. It was spacious for only a two seater. The blue and white strips were chipping on the dashboard.

"Where's your car again?" he asked, scanning the road.

"Make a left here," Emily said. She was thinking about the direction Brian came from. "After that I'm not sure."

"You have a locator on your car?" Larry asked. "Some of those new models have them."

"Yeah. I'll see if it's still working. It should," Emily said. She found it quickly and the navigation started towards it immediately.

"Nice," Larry said. "I need to get me one of those." They drove in silence.

"How do you know about these types of cars?" Emily asked.

"You see them come in every once in a while," Larry said. "I use to work with them and take them apart."

"Why does the rest of the country think the south is uninhabitable?" Emily asked.

"I don't know," Larry said. He paused. "I think back where you are from, they can't accept that people don't change."

"Isn't change a good thing?" Emily said. 
"You would think," Larry said. Emily didn't know what to say to him. What did he mean? Did they have a choice?

Larry pulled over to the side of the road as close as they could get to the car. They got out, and walked towards it. Emily's car was still in the rock bed. She could see the water running underneath it.

"Oh boy," Larry said. Larry when in the truck bed and found some chains with hooks. He attached the hooks to her car and carefully accelerated on the gas to pull the car out of the stream. Emily could see the water had risen from last time.

"Does the water rise a lot?" she asked Larry.

"Yes, it depends on the time of year. But now, yes it has," Larry said. Larry added another chain to her car and inspected the wheels.

"The wheels look good. I think it is the engine that is the main issue, but we'll see," Larry said.

They got back in Larry's car. They drove away and she saw her car being dragged behind them. They drove back in silence and they made it back to the Crescent. Larry pulled the truck and her car close to the garage.

"Thanks Larry," Emily said. "I really appreciate it. If there's any repairs you can do, I'll pay you back."

Larry raised his eyebrows. "Like I said, we don't get many cars from California here," Larry said. "If you're looking to stay, and don't have a lot, we could use some extra help in the kitchen and dining area or really everywhere? Larry said.

"Yeah I'll think about it," Emily said. "Possibly for a few days. I'm here looking for someone so I don't have much time..."

"Who are you trying to find?" Larry said.

"They people who own this car company. They went missing..." Emily said.

"You must know them," Larry said.

"One of them is my mom. It's not like her to disappear like this," Emily said. "I think something happened. Last time they were seen was somewhere down here."

"It's a big place," Larry said.

"I know," Emily said. Larry turned around, and unhooked her car from his truck. She watched him take out tools from the garage and inspect her car. The sky was grey and she sat in the grass and watched him work, thinking about what comes next.