Chapter 9: Shadowing

I know this isn't a good idea but after what Alice told me I don't care. Bella needs to be protected; Alice told me she'd be fine. That Angela and Bella were just going shopping for the graduation party Alice is throwing for them. But considering what happened the last time Bella went dress shopping with her friends I decided to follow them. So far Alice was right they were just shopping and no one was bothering them. They talked about the party, collage, and I found out that Bella is dating Jacob Black. 

I don't have the right to be upset but... I mean this is what I wanted for her to move on with her life. But I just can't chase away this little bit of jealousy that I have for Jacob. After they get their dresses they looked around in a couple of other stores. Then they went into the restaurant I noticed it as soon as they got there. The memories came back instantly even though I'd been fighting them for about a year now. I know it's wrong but I started to eavesdrop on Bella and Angela's conversation. 

"Bella are you okay?" Angela asks looking worriedly at Bella 

"Huh yea I'm fine" she said looking slightly distracted. 

"You sure?" 

"Yea" she said 

"Come on what is it?" Angela asks

"Edward and I came here before" Bella said 

"Oh right... are you okay? I mean we could leave" 

"No it's fine" Bella said reassuringly. 

Angela smiles at her "you really have come a long way" she said 

Bella nods "hey Ang" she said

"Yea" 

"Thanks for sticking with me you know through all the crazy" she said

Angela's eyes water slightly "of course Bella what are friends for?" 

"Okay enough heavy let's get back to having fun" Bella said. 

"Okay" Angela said smiling as the waiter brings them their food. 

They eat and talk some more then they pay the bill and leave. Their walking to Angela's car when something odd happens. I hear thoughts from a girls head the thoughts are not clear. It's almost like listening to white noise I look at her and notice that she's staring intently at Bella. Since Victoria may have someone who can manipulate people's minds I start to follow her. 

That's when I notice that she's holding a knife; she starts walking over to Bella and Angela. I run and grab her before anyone can see and before she reaches the girls. I pin her against a wall.

"Who are you?" I ask 

"Paige" the girl says with a faraway look in her eyes. Paige is still clutching the knife I try to make her drop it but if I try any harder I'll break her hand. 

"What are you doing here?" I ask 

"She told me to watch the girl with the dark brown hair. Then wait" she said. 

"Wait for what?" I ask because her thoughts are still clouded with the white noise. 

"For you" she said I let go of her then 

"You were waiting for me?" I ask. 

"Your Edward right" she asks politely 

"Yes I am"

"Good" she said

 Then she takes the knife and cuts her wrist my throat burns. I step back from her "what are you doing?" I hiss. 

"She said you'd be thirsty" Paige said holding out her wrist. Its oozing blood I look away and hold my breath.

"Who told you to do this Paige?" I ask. 

"The girl did, I don't know her name but she told me to find you and offer you this" she said gesturing to her bleeding wrist. 

"What did she look like?" I ask

 "She's very pale has long brown hair and violet colored eyes" Paige said thoughtfully. "Why?" she asks 

"What else did she tell you to do?" I ask.

 Paige's face twisted in confusion "I don't remember" she said. "Aren't you going to drink?" she asks 

"No" I said 

"Why not isn't that what vampires do?" she asks. 

"Is the girl that told you to do this a vampire?" I ask 

"Yes" Paige said

"Enough talking" a boy said walking up behind Paige "Victoria was right about you" I can tell by his eyes that he's a vampire. 

"Who are you?" I ask 

"Me? I'm Riley a friend of Victoria" he said. "So you're really not going to drink from my friend Paige here?" he asks. 

"No I don't feed off of humans" I said to him

"What a shame" he said taking Paige's wrist. "Waste not want not right" he said before he drinks from her. I look around to make sure no one's watching. Paige seems to be enjoying it but I can tell he's taking too much. Her legs start to wobble slightly.

"You're killing her" I said he lifts his head and licks his lips. 

"Oh she'll be fine we do this to her all the time" he said. I look more closely at Paige and I see that she has scars all over her arms and neck. 

"She's a human being you can't treat her like this" I said disgusted 

"Its better then killing or turning her isn't it?" Riley said. He takes the knife from Paige "You can go back now" he said to her, she nods and walks away. 

"How'd you-" 

"Oh that's not me the whole mind control thing. That's Bree interesting isn't it?" he said. "Victoria was so happy when she found out what Bree could do"

"What do you want?" I ask him 

"Well you of course" he said as I feel two guys come up behind me. 

One of them grabs me and I fling him off then the other one rushes me. He manages to knock me off my feet while I'm down one of the guys puts his foot on my neck. 

"It'd be easier if you came quietly" Riley said then out of nowhere a huge wolf takes down the guy who was on top of me. While the wolf is ripping him apart Riley and the other vampire run away. After the wolf is done it turns to me. 

"Hi I'm Jacob" I hear it think.