Chapter Twenty Four- This Close

Hi! :D So, this is the second to the last chapter. I hope you guys like it.

Chapter Twenty Four- This Close

            “I am freaking out big time,” I said as I took one last look at my clothes. Thanks to that dream I had earlier today, I still couldn’t get over the fact I might just screw this up and all.

            “Relax,” Nate said. “It’s just your father. Why are you freaking out?”

            Due to the unfortunate fact that I did not have my car, I had to bring someone else along to the airport. With the stuff about Aunt Isby opening up the restaurant, she really couldn’t find the time to accompany me. My last resort?

            Nate Sparks.

            Can you believe that?

            Well, yeah, I bet you could.

            “Really, why are you this freaked out?”

            “I don’t even know. I’d never been this freaked out. Ever,” I added, looking at him with worried eyes. He looked, much to my distaste, amused. I groaned and pushed him farther from me, and we weren’t even that close, as he kept complaining about my unusually jerky movements, especially since I jabbed his ribs twice with my elbow already.

            “What was that for?” he asked me.

            “Oh, I don’t know, maybe because I can totally see that you’re making fun of me inside you head or something.”

            He laughed. “Nope, not really. I wasn’t.”

            I groaned again. “Nate. Work with me here.”

            “I would, if you stopped trying to dislocate my ribcage.”

            “You’re still bringing that up again?”

            Of course, he remained looking amused. Figuring I couldn’t anything worse, I just let him be. I guess it could actually be amusing, if you think about it. I was always in control and stuff, and possibly seeing me as out of control as I was right now was worth his amusement.

            “Well, I couldn’t afford it if my girlfriend accidentally sends me to the hospital for some major reinforcements, because seriously, did you practice jabbing me with your elbow ever since you met me?” He rubbed the sore spot he’s been rubbing, since, oh, I don’t know, fifteen minutes ago.

            I found myself laughing. “Well, I might have pictured the moment once,” I answered, “or twice.”

            He feigned a hurt look, even going as far as putting his palm over his chest. “Really, now? Because yeah, that’s really reassuring.”

            “Yeah, I guess it is,” I went along.

            It was one of those moments he made me wonder how he could be so… Nate. You know, just loosen things up and make me laugh out of the blue. It was his way, really.

            “Oh. My. God. That is totally my father.” My eyes widened.

            Before he could spot me, I looked down at my clothes again, but Nate just held my hand. “Don’t worry. It’s not like you’re meeting your, I dunno, blind date or something, but you’re not. It’s just your dad.”