Chapter Nine- Even That Person

            I could have been dead, as far as I know. School was utterly painful. When I woke up that Saturday, I can’t help but feel so great without rousing before six o’clock, and actually waking up by 8:45.

            When I got down for breakfast, however, I was in for a shock. Everyone’s preparing for breakfast. Apparently, we’re eating outside, and everyone else will join us. Kelli and Violet. Lai, who keeps glancing at Kelli. Kevin and Eli, who exert way too much effort in laughing than actually watching over the boiling soup.

            “ ‘Morning, Add!” Eli shouted upon seeing me.

            I smiled. “ ‘Morning.”

            “Heard you have detention for one whole week starting Monday?”

            I closed my eyes. “Oh God, don’t even remind me.”

            Cheery laughs filled the overcrowded white kitchen. Then suddenly, there was a steady rapping on the door. By that time, I said, “I’ll get it.” Better than watching them do all the work while I'm standing here, useless and unneeded.

            Opening the door, I half-expected it was Nate. Curses were already forming at the back of my mind, waiting to be thrown to him as I opened the door. My mouth was half-open when opened it, about to begin my swearing and shouts at him, but was surprised upon seeing it wasn’t Nate.

            Two people stood in front of me. An adult Aunt Isabelle’s age, and a guy my age. There’s a resemblance between the two of them, but nothing too alike. They have, however, the same piercing blue eyes. And they’re both freakishly tall. The man taller than Aunt Isabelle is, and me shrinking underneath both of them.

            “Hey! You’re Adria?”

            Don’t scowl. Don’t scowl. Don’t scowl. “Addy,” I said politely to the man.

            “Ah. I'm Charles, and this here is Casey.”

            “Casey?” I asked, just as the teenage guy scowled. (I'm guessing he doesn’t like his name all that much.)

            “Is Isabelle home?” Charles asked me, trying, and failing, not to sound too hopeful. Pretending I don’t really get who he actually is (Trust me, I get lots of information over all the times Aunt Isabelle and I eat dinner together or go to Snowstorm.), I let them come in and closed the door softly behind me.

            Just then, Aunt Isabelle emerged from the kitchen, a big bowl of soup in nestled underneath her green mittens. “Oh!” Her mouth formed a comically perfect O. “Charles!” She flushed red, and everyone suddenly popped up behind her one by one, smiles fading and chats dying away.

            “A-a bad time?” Charles asked.

            “No, no, no! We’re just grabbing breakfast. You two can come join us.”

            Sitting around the overcrowded table out at the back of the house is just too hard to eat at, so I excused myself, stood up, and brought my bowl of soup with me as I sat on the cool fine sand a little more than five steps away from the table.

            Minutes later, Kelli joined me, closely followed by Vi, who are both sipping their soups too. The boys were all talking behind us, with Aunt Isabelle listening and probably nodding at some points. But really, I didn’t understand what they were talking about.