Chapter Twelve- Just Spontaneously Combust

            Avoiding Nate was practical, best, sensible and convenient. But it wasn’t entirely possible. Monday morning for my first period homeroom is Physics. And entering the Physics lab was what I exactly dreaded ever since the moment Nate’s pickup truck backed off from the driveway last night.

            Kelli was already there, and so was Nate, but I made it distinctive that I won’t be talking to him for the rest of the period by smiling widely at Kelli and ignoring him. When I sat down, I immediately talked to Kelli. Thankfully, he didn’t mind. I actually thought we were on the same page, both of us not wanting to ever relive what happened last night.

            Before Kelli could continue about her frustrations regarding the prank E-mail she received, Ms. Jenkins cleared her throat pointedly, demanding everyone’s attention. And I was grateful because for the rest of the day, I was able to carry out the practical, best, sensible, and convenient thing to do, even when it wasn’t entirely possible.

            But just as I was about to leave, thankful that I didn’t have to cross paths with Nate, he just had to come up from behind me.

            “Detention,” he told me.

            My jaw dropped open, and my eyes bulged out of their sockets, threatening to fall out of them. I completely forgot about detention. Oh God. I actually thought I was lucky.

            “Right,” I said.

            “So,” he began, sounding casually cheerful as ever, “I’m guessing you still hate me. Even after yesterday.”

            I sighed out. Here we go again, I thought. “I don’t, okay? But that doesn’t mean that I like you.”

            “Really.”

            “Really,” I snapped, frustrated. Sure, last night, I actually invited him to come in. Big deal, right? It didn’t mean that I automatically like him. And besides, he refused to come in. I don’t know what I’m supposed to do, honestly. But do I even have to do something? Why can’t we just ignore each other like I’ve originally planned? Truthfully speaking, I think forgetting about everything makes things easier for both of us.

            “Yeah. Real convincing, Adria.” My name rolled out of his lips smoothly and indifferently, but that just made it sound all the more hair-raising to me.

            “What did you just call me?”

            He shrugged. “Adria. If it wasn’t obvious, that’s still your name. I don’t really know why you don’t like it. I mean, I think it’s cool.”

            His last statement made me shut up. Not because I really took it to heart or anything. It’s just because some time, back when I was sixteen years old, I’ve heard it before. And, as you’ve guessed, the words came out from Vince’s mouth.

---

            Maybe it was the abnormality of everything else, but it sure felt… abnormal. Okay, that didn’t come out right. Honestly, that sentence made no sense at all. I repeat, at all. But to put it into better words, it felt pretty strange, sitting beside the most unexpected person as we watched a movie unfold before us.

            Yes, I’ve seen it coming. I expected him to one day, just come right at me and ask me to a movie or something. But never did I actually imagine (okay, so maybe a little, but still…) that I’d stand watching a movie with Vince, who, after all, is The Annoying Guy Who Kept Poking Me at Literature 2.