Chapter Four- When You Lie

For being my partner as the coolest persons on Wattpad. I love this face ---> 8D

Chapter Four- When You Lie

            “I’m not,” I replied, obviously lying. I wiped away my tears, and looked down, burying my head in my knees. I was sitting on the cold floor, and I was hugging my knees.

            “Yes you are.” His voice wasn’t mad. Wasn’t even irritated. Concerned. Worried.

            “I’m okay,” I told him.

            I could feel him sitting next to me. “Honey,” he murmured.

            “I'm okay,” I said through gritted teeth, trying to sound strong. Trying to sound like I really am saying the truth. Of course I wasn’t.

            “What happened?” A mere whisper. A mere sound said so, so softly in my ear. I can feel his warm hand patting my hair, stroking it. It was curled again tonight.

            An awful choking sound escaped my lips, and I said, “Nothing.”

            “Honey, listen to me.” His hand wrapped around my shoulder, pulling me close to him. He placed his chin on my head. “You’ll always be my princess. Okay? You can always tell me what’s wrong.”

            I sniffed, and looked up. I know I'm a mess. A wreck. Wild with my emotions. I wiped my face. “I’ll be okay.”

            He lifted my chin to meet his gaze, making sure I was all right. I looked everywhere—the pink wall of my room, the vanity closet placed against the wall, my unmade bed—except his eyes. Except his eyes, because my gaze would betray me.

            “Adria,” he said. “Look at me. Look at me.”

            I looked at him, but avoided looking at his eyes.

            “What’s wrong?” he murmured. “Look me in the eye, and tell me what’s wrong.”

            I swallowed, then finally surrendered and looked at him. The same green eyes stared into mine. Same light, green eyes. Another choking sound from me, and I managed to croak out, “It’s Vince,” before sobs began to wreck me once again.

            “Oh, honey.” He tucked loose strands of my curled hair back behind my right ear, and I saw Adrian, looking at both of us, with an expression that broke my heart. Concerned, angry, mad, sad, hurt, all at once. All because of me. All for me. And when I met his eyes, he shook his head and turned around before I could say ‘wait.’

            I almost called out to Adrian, but the hands holding me pulled me closer and I ended up sobbing into his chest. But there was no way for me to know that that was the last time I would ever sob into his chest, because after that night…

            He slipped away from me.

            Dad slipped away from me.

---

            The moment I stepped in the house, the lights flicked open (breaking the lights out rule).

“Addy? You’re back early. I—Are you crying?” It was the second time I heard that question tonight.

            I swallowed, and wiped my tears. “I…” I trailed off.