Chapter Two- Wishes Don't Come True

Chapter Two- Wishes Don’t Come True

            “Oh my gosh, Aunt Isabelle,” I exclaimed, my mouth full of delicious, Italian spaghetti. “You really should be a cook.”

            Aunt Isabelle smiled. “I love this girl, don’t you, guys?” She stared at Kelli and Violet, a friendly glint in her eyes.

            “Totally,” Kelli answered.

            “But you know guys, I don’t really think I can go and try managing a business,” she muttered, fork pushing a noodle across her plate. “I mean, I can’t possibly do that.”

            “Why not? It’s totally a great idea,” Violet piped in. Violet looks so much like Kelli, but Violet’s hair is straight, and lighter than Kelli’s dark brown. Violet’s lips are slightly fuller than Kelli’s. Her smile isn’t as contagious as Kelli’s, but hers is timid and shy yet sweet. I learned from our earlier conversation that Kelli’s older, which sort of makes sense.

            Aunt Isabelle just wrinkled her nose and shook her head. “I really don’t think so.”

            I ate another spoonful of Aunt Isabelle’s amazing spaghetti. Somehow, everything feels all right. Aunt Isabelle’s a great cook. I already have two friends. And even though the idea of eating outside the house instead of inside the dining hall is new to me, it feels so great just staying out here listening to the waves from the ocean lapping over each other.

            Another wonderful fact is that the table where we’re eating is placed here behind the house, and behind the house meant that we get a full view of the ocean. I swear, I can even smell the briny salt air. Just in case some are wondering, the house is white outside. Mediterranean style. And it’s standing right on top of fine, white sand.

            “You’re coming with us, right?” Kelli asked me, snapping me from my thoughts.

            “Coming? Uhh, where?” I looked at her, then at Aunt Isabelle, who smiled as if to say It’s okay if you go.

            “Stargazing,” Violet replied, smiling. “Tonight’s lights out.” Her big brown eyes getting… well, even bigger with excitement.

            The idea confused me. Stargazing, lights out—is this standard here in Blue Cove? I looked at them, perplexed.

            “Stargazing Night,” Kelli added. “The beach party that lasts all night. It’s to end the summer. You’re coming, right?”

            Oh. “I’d love to,” I replied.

            “Great,” my two new friends said together, and then they resumed eating. What they didn’t know was that I’d rather stay in my room to change all those colors to make it look more like Addy’s room, not just a random room. Because as far as I know, I'm not random. Or if not rearrange my room, then just sit and think about my past, let go of the happy-and-cheerful mask I have. But then again, they don’t know that today’s exactly a year from the day my life changed.

---

            “Hey, Sis. Wait, don’t tell me you’re using that again?” Adrian stopped and paused awhile, Gatorade in hand, as I can see in the mirror. I hate it how he always barges in my room unannounced. I still haven’t had the hang of using locks, since I'm also not used to being a teenager, considering I’m already fifteen. Before I turned fifteen, I was so open with Adrian, so the idea of him barging in my room never really bothered me until then.