xviii

Mutant League

Washington D.C.,
United States Of America.

"All those minds that I touched. I could feel them" Charles says "Their isolation, their hopes, their ambitions. I tell you, we are at the start of something incredible" Charles explains as they sit in the steps of the Lincoln Memorial monument "We can help them"

"Can we?" Erik asks worried "Identification, that's how it starts. And ends with being rounded up, experimented on, eliminated" Erik starts describing. Eleanor watches as both men speak, noticing that this subject makes Erik very tense.

"Not this time" Charles says "We have common enemies. Shaw, the Russians... They need us"

"For now" After that, there is a long silence as they play chess together. She decides to break the tension and writes a list. Charles notices she is doing something and stares at her, losing concentration on the game.

"We are officially a mutant league" Eleanor says as she finishes writing down the names and mutations of the people they found. Erik stares at the board with concentration while Charles comes back to reality. Charles has more chances to win, being a telepath. She notices a movement that Erik could do to confuse Charles and she sits down on the steps of the monument too.

"Move that one" She orders with a smile "There" Pointing at the pieces. He raises an eyebrow.

"Are you sure that's a good move?" He asks.

"Trust me. Playing against a telepath, it is your best shot" Eleanor explains "I wouldn't throw it if I were you" He follows her orders and when she turns to Charles as he frowns at her confused.

"What are you trying to do?" He asks looking at the game with a smile.

"I seem to be doing it right because you are starting to fear losing the game" She says laying down on the step she sat down.

"The other day you told me you don't read minds, now you do" Charles says confused by amused.

"I didn't read any mind, I swear" She says rolling her eyes with a smile "I just feel what everyone is feeling. Not in the way you get the feeling, I don't know if you understand. I can feel another's person pain as if it was mine and I can control that. But I can't block that. Emotions are not related to the mind, they are also related to the whole body so, they are something I can not really control" She explains. Erik nods, knowing how much she has suffered because of this.

"How many mutations do you have?" Charles asks interested. She takes a paper from her back pocket of her pants and starts reading. Erik looks at the sky nodding at each mutation.

"Superhuman mentality; a light power sensing; something I call psychometry; the emotions stuff, I call it empathy; telepathy and telekinesis" She says with a wide smile. They stare at her surprised.

"Now that you say them out loud there are lot" Erik murmurs looking at Charles before turning to look at his friend. She smiles.

"And she doesn't have all her powers yet" He replies staring at Eleanor "You're quite unique, but you're still young" Eleanor shrugs and smiles at the ground. Charles stares at the girl, thinking about how unique he finds her.

"Anyways" She tells the boys looking at the horizon "I think it's time to go. Agent McTaggert sure has something for us" They follow the girl to the car they used to come here. Charles, stops and watches how Erik and Eleanor walk in direction to the car. He starts to think, again, about the mystery behind Eleanor. Every time he speaks with her, he discovers something, and that's new for him.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★

"Plane leaves for Russia in an hour" Agent McTaggert informs as they walk through the halls

"Plane leaves for Russia in an hour" Agent McTaggert informs as they walk through the halls. Erik shakes his head.

"I'm telling you, these kids are not ready for Shaw" He tells the group. Eleanor nods her head.

"I think they're gonna surprise you. They're an exceptional bunch of young people" Charles replies. Eleanor starts hearing music and frowns.

"What's that?" She asks starting to walk faster than them and leaving them behind "Oh, wow" Eleanor murmurs knowing they are going to be mad.

"What the hell?" Moira asks grimacing. The statue in the middle of the courtyard is cut in half and the glass of the room where the other mutants were is broken. Eleanor can't help it but to laugh, a laugh which makes Charles look at her. She contains the laugh and looks at him seriously.

"Come on! You can go harder than that. Harder!" Darwin says as they hit him with a chair. Erik has a small smile in his face, an 'I told you so' expression.

"What are you doing?" Moira asks angrily. She trusted this mutants and here they are, being careless about everything. Eleanor turns to look at her, astonished at her being so angry. The young mutants look at them and stop doing what they're doing "Who destroyed the statue?"

"It was Alex" Hank says as the girl from the strip club laughs along with Raven.

"No, Havok. We have to call him Havok" Raven comments with a smile "That's his name now. And we were thinking, you should be Professor X" She says pointing at Charles "You should be Magneto" She adds and turns to Erik. After that she turns to look at Eleanor "And you should be Scarlatta" Raven says. Eleanor nods at the name, she actually likes it. Erik, on the other hand, scoffs.

"Exceptional" He murmurs before leaving for his room. Eleanor looks at him. Moira follows him and Charles looks directly at Raven.

"I expect more from you" He comments before leaving. Eleanor looks at the mutants feeling what they feel. She notices that Raven is devastated. Eleanor sees how everyone starts leaving and walks to Raven.

"Raven, wait" She tells the girl. Raven turns to look at her and Eleanor feels sorry for her. She is really embarrassed and sad "Don't feel so bad and don't beat yourself with this"

"I completely disappointed him" She murmurs.

"I will speak with him. You should be free to have fun. I'm sure," She says "This is one of the few times you actually had a good time" Raven nods with a small smile.

"But Charles..."

"I will speak with him" She repeats "He better listen to me" Raven smiles at the words of the girl.

"Thank you" Raven tells Eleanor.

"Oh, no problem. By the way, Scarlatta?" She says grinning "That's a really cool name" Raven nods laughing softly, thanking that the girl tried to lighten the mood.