iii

Control

1950San Francisco, California

1950
San Francisco, California.

Eleanor runs downs the stairs of her house quickly. Voices. Images. Things. She touched one of her notebooks and a lot of images of her drawing with her father in that small book appeared in her head. It was so vivid and real, she actually felt like she was herself back in that moment. And the voices don't stop. She is afraid. Terrified. And somehow, in school, she seems to know things in a easier way. It's like she already studied it and that was like remembering it.

"Honey, where are you going?" Martha, Eleanor's mother, asks. She leans on the door frame of the kitchen.

"I'm going to walk around" She informs "I need some fresh air"

"You're stressed?" She asks her. Eleanor looks down nodding.

"Kind of"

"Is it school or is it because of your abilities?" Eleanor shrugs, and her mother knows it is the second option "El, I've told you many times, if you need help to control them, I am here"

"You have a lot of things to do. You have your job and since you started those theatre courses, you have your mind in other things" She murmurs "I get that you are doing that because you need something to do, and it's totally fine. Anyways, in school I'm doing very fine"

"Oh, yeah! I think that might be one of your abilities. And I have news: The principal called me to talk about you" She informs. Eleanor raises her eyebrow surprised.

"About me? Why?" She asks "What did I do?"

"Your teachers have been talking and... It's been months since school started. They noticed you're far too intelligent to be in your grade" Martha explains as she makes the food. She looks at her mother speechless.

"So, that means I'll finish school with Haydn?" Her mother shakes her head and Eleanor sighs relieved.

"Oh no, they are going to test you this week so I want you to study. If you do it perfectly, you can even end high school before turning 14"

"Mom, this is great!" She exclaims.

"Yes, it means you are becoming more powerful" She tells her daughter with a smile. With her telekinetic powers she moves around the kitchen everything she needs "Oh, darling, I forgot to tell you. This weekend, your father is apparently in town so you'll be spending the weekend with him" Martha adds looking at her daughter "I hope you don't mind"

"Do I have to?" She replies.

"He may have left us, but he is still your father" Martha says with a sad expression in her face.

"Fine, I'll go"

"Thank you, baby" Her mother says as she walks to the door and kisses her daughter on her forehead.

"I don't want to leave her with him, but he is her father too. Maybe I can tell someone to come over" Eleanor hears the voice of her mother with her slight Spanish accent. But she wasn't talking. This is getting so much worse.

"I'll go get my things ready then" She tells her mother. She nods and continues doing whatever she was doing.

When she gets to her room, she takes one notebook and starts writing down things that come to her head, thoughts that she hears, emotions she feels; everything.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Eleanor sits down on the border of the sidewalk, waiting for his car to appear as she reads her history book

Eleanor sits down on the border of the sidewalk, waiting for his car to appear as she reads her history book. She hasn't seen him since he left home four years ago. That's why she feels weird about having to see him. A small but fast red car which seems to be a Mercedes approaches Eleanor on the sidewalk. She stares at the man who's driving. He leaves the car and takes his sunglasses off looking at Eleanor.

"Elle?" He asks surprised and smiling widely. She nods with a smile on her face as she looks at he ground "Oh my... You've grown a lot" He murmurs. He takes her bag but she doesn't let him.

"I'll carry it" She says carelessly. Mark stares at her and puts his glasses on again. He nods grimacing at the sun.

"Okay then" He says getting in the car again "We better get going, I've planned all weekend"

"Look, Mark-"

"Elle" He says giving her a look. He used to call her that, it sounds familiar but at the same time so distant "I'm your father, don't call me Mark" He seems to be worried and regretful. He regrets leaving home. She starts feeling all this sudden regret. All that her father is thinking about is obtaining the forgiveness.

"Why did you wanted to see me?"

"Because you're my daughter, and I left you two alone, without an explanation. Your mother... She probably will never forgive me but you're still young, I can still be there for you. Let me be there" She sighs and looks down.

"What have you planned?" She asks looking at her father. He smiles slightly and starts the car.