sixteen

*three weeks later*

there was no funeral held for darcy himura, as no one in the family had the money for one. opal's dad's family offered, but opal stepped in and immediately declined. darcy and her husband's family did not get along at all, apparently since darcy got pregnant with opal at such a young age. opal did not want someone who didn't even care about the woman to pay for her funeral, so nothing was held. although, there were small gatherings for her death in ireland, where darcy's family lives.

opal was okay with it, too. her mother didn't need one, she saw funeral's as a promising that no one will forget the person who died. no one, would ever, no matter how hard they try, would forget darcy himura, with or without a funeral.

christian spent every day with opal, and he's seeing a major difference in her behavior. she's becoming happier and happier as days pass, obviously still having moments, but christian seems to be helping her mind become normal again.

the day he showed up at her house was the first time she smiled her real smile since her mother died, all due to christian. she also mainly cried for a whole week, but the happy boy was always there for her, always not even saying anything to her while she has her moments, he didn't need anything to say. he just needed to be with her.

their addiction to each other grew stronger and stronger as weeks passed, and they started going to the little coffee shop again, which bexly was ecstatic to see. she was barely able to conceal her excitement when they entered the cafe holding each other's hands.

christian didn't even pop the question, they automatically assumed they were together since christian kissed her at her house after not seeing each other for a week.

they also started their senior year of school, which was surprisingly easy for them as they were basically each other's tutors. since the two were both homeschooled, they'd do their online work at the shop since it had free wifi, and bexly would help them with the concepts they don't understand. opal would help christian with english, while christian would help her with geography. bexly helps them with math since both of them had no idea what they were doing most of the time.

they were taking mostly the same classes, the only difference was the extra-choice classes, which opal was taking japanese, culinary, and phycology. christian was taking french, religion, and journalism.

today they finished their school work early and decided to go back to normal and do their regular sketching/song writing.

since opal first heard christian sing, all she ever wanted was for him to keep making music for him to play. she knows, one day he's going to make it big. he's going to sell out every venue ever, and she made a promise to herself that when it happens, she's going to be at the first row at every show, whether they keep in touch or not.

"i kinda want to punch someone in the face." christian says randomly, interrupting opal from her drawing.

opal sighs, then closes her book, then rests her chin on her hands, giving him all her attention and looking at him with a lazy expression. he stares back with a straight face and his arms crossed over his chest.

"care to elaborate?" she asks once he doesn't say anything for a few moments.

"i don't know... i haven't ever done anything super exciting in my life, and punching some punk in the face sounds real nice right now."

"wow, okay, i guess i'm not exciting enough for you?"opal fake cries in her sleeve.

"no, no! no, of course you are honey, but i want revenge." he grins evilly, balling his hands into fists.

the girl fights the urge to roll her eyes at the huge doofus sitting in front of her. "revenge on who?"

the boy shrugs, then opens his song writing book and continues to write in it, forgetting anything that happened before that moment. his tongue sticks out in concentration and opal wonder's how someone's attention span could be so short.

she scoffs, and kicks him under the table, causing him to cry out in pain.

"that is no way you treat your boyfriend." he pouts, covering his face with his hands.

the girl's heart skips a beat after that sentence. he never really did put a label on their relationship, or really confirmed that that's what he was to her, although she did see him as her boyfriend... so it sort of took her off guard.

"you'll never punch someone." she shakes her head, ignoring all the butterflies in her stomach.

"how would you know?" christian smiles widely, wide enough where nearly all of his teeth is showing. his eyes are barely open and his cheeks are turning a deep shade of red.

she points at his face. "because you smile like that."

his smile fades, but the light in his eyes is still there. "that was mean."

"i love it though, smile again!" she beams, reaching into her purse, grabbing her polaroid.

the boy pouts further, then hides his face in his sweater. "no, stop, it's embarrassing."

opal scoffs, then rips his hands away from his face, revealing her favorite pair of eyes.

her entire torso is hovering over the table, and she holds his wrists tightly, her face only inches away from his. she leans in a little more, and presses her lips lightly to his, and she tastes the sweet coffee, now growing to love it. she looks past the bitterness, focussing on the sweetness, and the pink skin on his lips.

she pulls away, sitting back normally in her chair and holds up her polaroid camera to her eyes, seeing that he's now smiling the way she told him before.

the flash brings him back to earth, and he pouts once more.

she grabs the picture from the camera and waves it around, the photo starting to take it's form.

"that was dirty." he continues to pout, resting his chin on his hand.

"but of course." she laughs, revealing the picture to him. he snatches it from her hand, making her squeal and basically jump over the table to retrieve it. people sitting at other tables turn their heads and scold the two teenagers, making christian's eyes widen and give in to her struggles of trying to take back the photo.

opal didn't care that people were looking at them, instead, she stared at the photo in admiration, wondering how perfect someone could be.

"it's a keeper!" she grins widely, holding it close to her chest. christian's cheek's turn redder than they were before, and he turns his had away from her so he couldn't see. she turns her attention away from the photo and focuses on the boy in front of her.

"i'm so glad that you are here with me, christian. i'm... glad you left your notebook at your table a while ago. i'm so glad i got to know you." opal smiles wider than before. "no... i don't know what i would ever do without you."

christian's eyes widen, but then turns his head away once more. "don't say things like that, you're making me all weird." he grumbles, but opal can see the corner of his mouth turn up.

she ignores his previous statement and starts to doodle in her notebook again, letting christian watch her from the corner of his eye. he

you have it backwards, opal. you may need years worth of fixing, you may be still in the hole you dug yourself into, but i'm the one

who's glad

i got

to

know

you.