ten

wow ten chapters already? much more to come rats lololol

but thank you to the like, six people who actually read this piece of crap

**

*two months later*

"im getting so sick of this." opal furrows her eyebrows at her chai tea she still gets every day. "how are you not sick of coffee?"

christian shrugs, taking a huge gulp of his drink. "there are more options on the menu."

the girl pouts, poking the white tea cup. "i'm going to tell bexly to get me this... green ginger tea. it sounds good doesn't it?" she asks the boy, pointing to the option on the 'tea' side of the menu.

"don't ask me, i don't like tea." he scrunches up his nose in disgust.

opal scowls at him. "don't talk to me."

"now you know how i feel when you told me you hated coffee." christian retorts.

the two has gotten definitely more closer as the days past, and they've spent more time with each other than they did a month ago. opal is always at his house, but christian has yet to go to hers. she told him about darcy's cancer, but that only made him want to meet her mother more.

she wasn't ready, she was afraid christian would go running if he sees the condition their house was in. it was sort of messy, the complete opposite of what he was used to. it wasn't horribly messy as opal and aspen do clean up a lot, but the apartment is small, and they have a lot of things. opal is actually quite a clean freak, and no matter how much she cleaned, it still felt messy. it only got more hectic when opal brought the kitten home.

"coffee is bitter." the girl rolls her colorful eyes at the boy.

her eyes were his favorite thing.

he loved how they were so bright, and that little brown patch always drew his attention. she was art.

"it's not bitter, it tastes like rainbows." christian retorts.

"it tastes like puke."

"jeez, opal, why do you always have to say things like that." the boy whines, making opal laugh.

the two stop talking for a few moments, and christian starts to write some lyrics down in his journal as opal doodles on her sketchbook cover.

the two do that often, they will either talk forever without any pause or stay silent most of the time and draw or write. it depends on the day, it seems today they decided to keep quiet.

christian needed to get another writing journal a few days ago since he wrote completely through his old one. opal consumed his mind, whenever he would write, opal's face is the only thing he sees. he isn't as stuck on lyrics as much as he was before he met opal, and when he is, he asks her for advice, or he tries to talk to her to get a wise quote out of her.

"school starts again soon.." opal breaks the silence. christian nods. "what grade are you going into again?"

the boy scoffs sarcastically. "we've talked everyday, all day, for nearly three months and you don't know what grade I'm in?"

opal shrugs, then hides her red cheeks. "i'm so bad at remembering things, okay?"

christian laughs. "i'm going to be a senior, since i'm seventeen. i'm not excited for it."

"same as me, i really want to drop out and just sell my art, but i know my mom wouldn't let me. even when i have to live with aspen, she won't let me either." opal says, but slaps her hand over her mouth once she realized what she has said.

she wasn't supposed to tell him about living with aspen. she wasn't even supposed to bring up her mother's cancer, but she keeps forgetting that christian doesn't know everything.

"live with aspen?" christian asks curiously.

opal sighs. "she is my mom's home doctor. we've known her for around three years, a while before my dad... you know."

christian nods before grabbing the girl's hand, reassuring her. "you don't need to talk about that right now, okay?"

opal nods, and he squeezes her hand. then smirks.

"wanna try my coffee?"

.

"i like him so much, i can barely hold it in anymore, mom." opal groans to darcy who is actually feeling better today and could walk. the two are sitting in opal's bedroom with opal laying her head on her mother's lap and her stroking her soft, black hair to comfort her.

"so tell him." darcy replies, braiding and unbraiding opal's hair.

"i can't mom, i don't think he likes me back anyways." the small girl tells her mother.

"why do you think that?"

"i don't know, i just - ugh." opal groans, sitting up and hiding her face with her hands.

darcy smiles, throwing her arm around her daughter. she admires her eyes, how unique and imperfect they are. she wonders why she thought at that christian boy didn't see her the way that she looks at him, it's impossible.

opal may not be the prettiest, she may have weird eyes and crooked teeth, but those features are the most beautiful parts of her. her dad's genetics.

"bring him over tomorrow then." darcy says. opal looks at her with wide eyes. "what? i want to see this kid, i need to know who my daughter is hanging out with."

darcy stands up slowly and opal rushes to help her. once she is walking, she kicks her daughter's dirty clothes on the ground and orders for them to be picked up. she says it "needs to be clean for our guest."

aspen peeks her head in the doorway, asking what darcy is doing out of bed.

"just cleaning around, we are having 'christian' over tomorrow." darcy smirks at opal.

"don't say his name like that." her daughter groans, making the two older women laugh.

aspen claps her hands, rubbing them together. "alright, you two clean up in here, i got the kitchen and the bathrooms. opal, help your mother out and yell if you need anything, yea?"

after cleaning a bunch load, all the girl's were finally in bed, with aspen sleeping on the couch next to darcy and opal laying in her own.

she's smiling, and falls asleep with christian's eyes in her mind.

.

who's talking shit because i just got a whole bunch of reads

also, go give gurlfrandmaterial some love because shes such a great writer :))

song recommendation of the chapter: gun song - the lumineers

(self promo: i have a playlist on spotify specifically for this book called "dandelion hands" and my account is brookegordonugh SO YOU GUYS SHOULD CHECK IT OUT)