Chapter 7

Leaning casually against the opposite wall in the corridor, was a familiar tall figure, his frame draped in a shorter charcoal grey version of the blue wool coat, paired with ink blue denim jeans and smart leather boots.  The coat was unbuttoned leaving a thin panel of fine knit black sweater covering a crisp white collared shirt visible.  It was such a classic and simple look but he looked as though he'd just stepped off the catwalk, leaving me feeling somewhat scruffy and lacking by comparison in the apparel department.  My black leggings, purple nylon cardigan and cheap grey t-shirt just couldn't compare, not that this was a contest.

"What are you doing here?" The confusion was apparent in my tone, and most likely written across my face, not to mention that Jodie was nowhere to be seen.  No doubt the meddling little madam thought she was being helpful.

Taken aback by my unintentional abruptness, Jackson answered nervously. "I...err...well, this seemed like a good idea when I got in the car........."

Shaking his head as if he was talking himself out of something, he seemed genuinely unsure what to say, to the point that he looked like he might be about to leave.

Not particularly wishing to have a conversation in a place where Cheryl could easily hear, I took a brave step and opened the door wider.  "Come in and explain why you're here?"

Pushing himself off the wall with grace, he crossed the hallway in a couple of easy steps passed over the threshold just as the one person I wanted to avoid opened her door.  I swiftly closed mine, hoping she'd not caught wind of the exchange I'd just had out there.  Turning to face Jackson, I found him shuffling awkwardly next to the armchair.

"You can sit down; I'm not completely lacking as a host." I joked, Pointing to the seat as an invitation.  "Although, if you're expecting a drink, please bear in mind that I'd have to trail down two flights of stairs to fix that for you."

"Don't worry, I wouldn't expect you to be that hospitable." He chuckled while making himself comfortable. 

Quickly straightening the duvet and replacing the bright crochet throw that had slid onto the floor while I was snoozing, I sat on top of the covers and grabbed a pillow to wedge behind my back.  Drawing my knees up, and wrapping my arms around them, I regarded his stiff demeanour. "What can I do for you?"

"You haven't called." He stated bluntly, rather than answering my question.

The undercurrent of accusation in his tone had me bristling immediately.  His offer the last time I saw him, had been very much an open invitation, and one that was meant to be very much on my terms.  I had fully intended to speak with him after Christmas and take a tentative step towards us possibly being friends, but it hadn't occurred to me that it might actually be something he would welcome eagerly.  He hadn't indicated that he was keen to actually be my friend, more that he was doing it to be kind after a situation that was such a disaster. 

"I was going to...." I trailed off awkwardly, unsure what else to say.

Nodding as though accepting something unspoken, he rose from the chair suddenly and made to leave. 

"Wait!" I called, keen to prevent any further misunderstanding. "I really was. Your offer was lovely, very kind under the circumstances."

He turned back to me smiling a little sadly.  "You don't have to say that Holly, I know that the way I treated you the first time was unforgivable, I don't deserve to have any expectations.  Although my reason for being here is somewhat selfish."

I had to admit I was still rather curious as to why he had turned up here on Christmas Day of all days.  Keen to have that answer I encouraged him to explain. "So why don't you sit back down and tell me?"