Picking Up The Pieces

Vic POV

_____

I probably wouldn't have left Jaime's side at all. What made me open my eyes was my phone ringing obnoxiously. I sat up a a little to turn the noise off when Jaime's arm around my waist tightened.

"Babe, just ignore it." His voice was sleep-ridden and a bit hoarse. Bottom line, it was sexy as fuck.

"I'm just going to turn it off." I told him. He yawned a little and loosened his grip, allowing me to reach my phone. The name on the screen made me falter and pale. I wanted to throw the phone. Lite on fire and watch it burn. Or just ignore the call like a normal person. But I couldn't. Cautiously, I answered the call. "Hello?" My voice was shaky and unsure.

"Babe, who is it?" Jaime whispered to me. I waved him off, letting him know he shouldn't worry about it.

"Hey, Vic." Her sweet voice dripped through the phone. I prayed that Jaime couldn't hear her voice.

"Hey, Evie, how ya doing?" I managed to choke out. Jaime stirred, but remained asleep.

"Good, good. And you?" Evie asked back, our conversation tense.

"Same." I replied a bit more calm by then.

"Feels like we haven't talked in forever. Are you still with Jaime?" She asked. I knew she was being nice. She was a nice, beautiful woman. She completely understood when I told her that I couldn't talk to her, because of Jaime. But for some odd reason, there was something else that she seemed to be asking, but I couldn't figure out what. I glanced at Jaime's sleeping figure before answering.

"Yeah. And how's um, River?" It was odd to be actually saying my son's name aloud. Again, I glanced back at Jaime. He was still asleep, like I had assumed.

"He's great. Listen, um, I was calling to ask when would it be a good time for you to meet him?" Evie asked me, her happy demeanor dropping slightly. I had to really think about that.

"I really don't know. I'll have to call you back on that one." I told her. I could hear her readjust the phone.

"Okay. Well, you have my number, and uh, call me back soon, because I'll need to request that day off."

"I'll try to let you know before tomorrow night." I promised. "I'm gonna go, I'll erm, talk to you soon."

"Okay, bye." I hung up the phone after she'd spoke.I could feel my heart beating rapidly in my chest. I needed to get a hold on things. Yes, Evie was going to come back into my life and bring River with her. Jaime said he didn't hate me and was glad that I'd told him the truth.

But what if he was lying? What if Evie wanted to kill me? Or was planning on ruining my life? I don't think I could handle that. I slid out of bed and thew on some clothes. I slid my feet into a pair of Toms and as silently as possible, left the bus. I needed to lose myself for a little while.

I was about a block away from the bus at a small local bar. It was far enough where I could be alone with myself, but not so far that I wouldn't be able to walk back. I was on cup ten, or eleven? I had lost count. But I was feeling good. Nothing mattered but the next glass of strong alcohol that came my way. Thoughts of Evie, River and Jaime hating me all had left my mind around glass four? I dunno. The songs that the bar was playing sounded like some sort of old R&B. Fine by me.

Before I knew it though, the song 'I Wanna Dance With Somebody'  came on, instantly making me think of Jaime. And with those thoughts came my worry of Evie and River. And associated with all those worrying thoughts came another round after round for my one-person, pity, party.