Chapter Thirteen: A Descent

That night, I spend a sleepless night thinking about what must be happening with my family. Finn probably joked that he doesn't want me around anyway, but secretly knowing that he will miss me. Brendan probably became very angry, threatening that whoever abducted him will feel the anger of his fists. Father probably yelled that whenever I return, he will kill me. Desmond probably brooded in silence or smirked at their frenzy, proud of knowing something that others do not. Desmond. The thought of Desmond makes me bolt upright, shaking the rickety, wooden bed and making the shadows on the wall dance. 

    I know I told him that he cannot control me and I will kiss whoever I please, but I lied. I do care. The one thing I can't figure out is why I care. Is it the feeling of being wanted that I enjoy? To know that someone cares about me for something other than cooking and cleaning? That is the one question I cannot figure out. All I know is that something feels very, very wrong.

  The next morning, I wake up with the same unsettled feeling in the pit of my stomach. When I have to help Zachary load cheeses into crates, I'm grateful for the distraction, despite the fact that the smell of the cheeses is making my stomach turn even more. I see Zachary keep glancing at me out of the corner of his eye.

   "Zachary, I do not have to be watched every minute like a child," I say.

  "I am rather aware of that, Ms. Maura," he replies, a smirk playing on his lips. 

  "Then why, kind sir, do you keep glancing at me every minute?" 

  "I want to make sure you are still well. You seemed rather ill this morning. "

  "I-I'm perfectly well."

 He just nods, and eventually we set off for the market, each of us carrying multiple crates. I stagger under the weight of the crates, but manage to make it to the market without collapsing.

   When we get to the market, I'm trying to maneuver with the crates and catch up with Zachary when I hear a deep voice say, "May I help you with those crates, miss?" 

     I stand on my toes to try to see the source of the voice. Stifling a grunt, I see the boy that Zachary and me were talking about yesterday. "Yes, please," I practically pant.

  His hand brushes my cheek as he lifts up one of the higher up crates. I blush, feeling uncomfortable. No one but my brothers, Desmond, and Zachary have touched my cheek like that. I see him smile a bit. Ah, he's a cocky one. He is rather aware of the effect his handsome countenance has on girls. Really, the only way one can describe him is handsome. His features are chiseled and sharp, as if chiseled out by God's sculpting hand. His eyes are a smoky, hazy gray and seem alive, dancing and laughing all at once. With full, pink lips, mahogany brown hair, and a broad chest and shoulders, his pride in his looks is justified. 

  He lifts the crates with ease, as if it is filled with pebbles and we begin to walk. "Who do you belong to, pretty girl?" he purrs.

  I'm about to tell him that I don't belong to anybody, but one look at his knowing smirk tells me that this is what he wants me to say. So I simply reply, "I am alone."

  He smiles, and his eyes look upward as if he is trying to think of the answer to a tough question, or beseeching God. But I know that he is probably thinking all sorts of desirous, dirty thoughts. I would be lying if I said that I wasn't thinking similar thoughts, but I shall not vocalize them.

  He says, "So no one would be bothered if I showed you to the men tonight?"

   "W-whatever do you mean?"

  He looks like he is trying to stifle a laugh as he says, "Would anyone be bothered if I took you to my home tonight?"

  "I might be. Depends on what you plan to do with me."

  "Nothing you wouldn't like."

  I smile. "How do you know?"

 "I know. If you would like to accept the invitation, meet me here at the end of the day."

 I nod and he hands me back the crates and I walk a little bit to Zachary's stand. Zachary must have witnessed our conversation, for there is a sour look on his face. 

  "I can't believe you talked to him!" Zachary yells. 

  "Why? He is not that bad. He was quite polite, and even invited me to spend an evening with him."

  "I knew it" 

  "Knew what?"

  "You're nothing but a courtesan!"

  "How dare you! I am not!"

  "You said your old boy 'seduced' you! You probably seduced him!"

  "I did not!" 

 "I'm sure you did! You know what? I don't care if you go with him tonight! We don't need courtesans in my house!"

   "Fine! I shall, and shall enjoy it!"

  "Fine!"

  And with that, we descend into a frosty silence.

A/N: Sorry I haven't updated in so long. I've been super busy and have had writer's block.