Chapter One: Terrible Prospect

I hear the heavy footsteps and laughter of my father and brothers, back from yet another hunting trip. Dropping my needle and thread, I dash to the kitchen, practically tripping over my skirts in my haste. Mere seconds later, my brother, Finn, obnoxiously slams the door open.

"Where's our food? We go hunting, we come home hungry," he says.

My father too looks around to see any evidence of food, then gives me a dirty look.

I sigh. I love my brother as much as I love my father, but he seems to be Father's mini-me. At least I can talk back to him, for he doesn't have as much power over me as Father.

"Maybe if Father hadn't given away our last pennies to the church, I would've been able to prepare food. But if we have no food in the house, there's nothing to prepare," I grumble, suddenly defiant.

My father spins around and narrows his eyes. "What did you say?" he asks.

I don't know why, but I spit back, "You know exactly what I said." Before I know it, he slaps me clear across the face, causing my cheek to throb.

"Don't disrespect the church. Remember your place, girl," he says harshly.

Then he tosses some animal he killed today at me. "Skin this, and roast it," he commands. This time, I nod obediently. Getting slapped once per day is enough.

Some time later, I announce, "The food is ready." My brothers run in and plop down brutishly, practically breaking our rickety chairs. Then my father rushes in. I put the food in the center of the table. We all hold hands and close our eyes, and Father says grace. When he sees my eyes flutter open for a moment, he pinches my hand. Then we begin to eat. My brothers shove food into their mouths with reckless abandon.

Eventually, my father clears his throat and says, "We have recently been talking about marriage prospects for you, haven't we?"

I nod, unsure where he's going with this. "Well, I've investigated your prospects within our village. And we've decided upon Desmond Ahern," he says with a certain finality, as if to tell me that there will be no discussion about this.

I jump up from the table, practically knocking it over. "No! Anyone but Desmond!" I yell.

"But, Maura, his family is willing to pay a sizable sum of money," my father says. "You will marry him, and that is all to be said about the matter."

"He is awful!" I yell. It's the truth. Desmond is surly and cranky and an overall despicable person. He's a terrible misanthrope and hates everyone. But me in particular. Just the other day, I passed by him and he called me a lousy swine. I don't tell him that though, because if I do, I know they won't even listen. Because I am nothing but a female. I am nothing but subjugated.

A/N: On the side is the original cover. I'm not sure who made it. If you know, please notify me.