Chapter Five

Once we had arrived everyone was walking towards a basket full of gardening tools, I decided I would go to the basket too. Once everyone else had got their tools, I picked up a rake and made my way over to Sucre. Hours passed in the scorching hot sun, raking non existent leaves and weeding the paths. The officers came over after about 3 hours and told us to get inside. We all lined up and were lead back into gen pop, we had to go straight to our cells. They didn't lock our cells up so I went into cell 40 and sat with Sucre and Michael for a short while till the guards told us that lights out was in 5 minutes. I went to my cell and got under the sheets.

"Lights out!" I heard a voice yell and with that it went dark. Almost instantly I was fast asleep

"Get up Hoffner," I heard a voice say. "You need to go to the Doctor's ward."

I opened my eyes and saw Officer Hudson. I slid out of my bed and noticed how hot and humid it was. My body felt so sweaty and I was glad that I could go to the medic ward where I hoped it would be cooler. Following Hudson, we made our way to the sick bay. When we arrived I noticed there were many more people here, they all looked at me with smirks. I shivered out of fright and proceeded towards Dr Tancredi's office.

"Hey Daisy." Sarah said, smiling at me.

"Hi Sarah." I said, waving slightly.

"Right, so I'll give you your shot and then I've got some business at the reception that I need to take care of so I'm going to leave you to take your pills and just sit on your own for a while, does that sound alright?" Sarah asked.

"Yeah that's great." I replied.

Sarah walked over to her cabinet and got a syringe full of the medicine. Once she had completed the shot she handed me my pills and left. I put the pills to the side, I'll take them later.

After about 5 minutes, there was a voice coming from the walkie talkie of the officer, Rizzo, guarding the sick bay.

"Inmates in cell block are compromised lockdown and breached A-wing through the guard's station. A-wing is shutting down" it spoke. I looked up toward the other men in the sickbay and they all smiled sadistically at me.

I knew I was screwed.

"Oo-hoo, it's popping off up in gen pop!" The one whose name was, Kuame, spoke. I looked towards the officer nervously as we made eye contact.

All the other inmates were huddled together near one area of the room and I was on my own inside Sarah's office.

"This is Rizzo. A-wing need back up? Over." I heard Rizzo speak into his radio.

"Negative. A-wing is evacuating and locked down. Remain in B-wing." The voice replied.

It goes quiet all of a sudden. I walk out and sees Rizzo lying on the floor. I turn around to run back into Sarah's office but Kuame was in my way.

" Uh Uh Girl." He grabbed me by the throat, I struggled against his hold becoming unable to breath. I look to my right to see a table with a single syringe on it, I grab it with the small ounce of energy I had and stabbed it into Kuame's shoulder, he begins to scream and squirm in pain. I run into to Sarah's office as fast as I can locking the door behind me and dragging her desk in front of it.

"Come on pretty girlie." Kuame speaks.

"You don't want to do this." I cough, still trying to recover my breathes.

Kuame bangs on the window of the door, the other prisoners from sick bay run around to the other office windows and start banging on them too. The glass appears to be super strong which I am glad for. I looked around the room and saw a phone near one of the windows. I ran over to it and grabbed it, putting it up to my ear. It was silent. I slowly raised my head to see another inmate named Theo holding a cut wire.