Hope

I woke up to someone shaking me. I blinked and looked up. 

"Mom!" Rosie exclaimed, sounding relieved as she hugged me. I groaned and sat up, rubbing my head. I looked at them. They all seemed okay other than some bruising and slight bleeding from cuts. I looked at Curtis. I gently shook him. 

"Curtis." I said, kneeling and putting my head to his chest. I heard a faint heartbeat. 

"Curtis, damnit! You better wake up! We're. We're a team." I sniffled, looking at him and shaking him gently. I held his hand and looked at his other arm. It was bleeding still. I got what was left of that cream and quickly cleaned the wound with some water Wilford had then rubbed the cream on it. He groaned. I sighed in relief, wrapping it up with strips I had made by ripping up a shirt . He opened his eyes.

"Erin?" He groaned. I nodded. 

"I'm here." I replied. I heard more groaning and looked up. Wilford was waking up. Rosie glared and grabbed him, grabbing a knife off the table before dragging him out. I heard him yelling in pain then silence. Did my daughter just murder someone? Most likely. Do I care? Not really. He deserved it, asshole. Edgar watched her come back in, more bloody than when she left. 

"Damn." He said. She rolled her eyes and helped him up. I helped Curtis sit up. We went through what was left of the train and got supplies that we needed. I got a coat on Curtis and tied up the end that went over his wounded left arm. I pulled the hood over his head and gently smiled at him. He gave me a weak smile. 

"Off to die in the snow." He said, looking at Yona where she sat holding onto her dad. He had been closest to the door and the blast had hit him the hardest. It looked like a broken neck had killed him. I held his hand and swallowed hard. I shouldered my backpack and the large knife that Franco had had. I went out into the snow, breathing deeply and squinting against the sunlight. Sean gently rubbed my back, looking around. He looked back and hurried to go help Rosie and Edgar. Timmy and Yona came out next. I breathed deeply and looked at Curtis. He was looking around and gripping my hand. 

"Mom." I heard and looked at Rosie. She was pointing up. I followed to where she was pointing and stared. There was a polar bear standing there. 

"Curtis?" I asked. 

"I see it." He replied, pulling me closer. It stopped, looking at us then carrying on. 

"It's not underfed. It looks to be a healthy weight." I said, looking at him. He nodded and breathed deeply. We started walking, stopping occasionally because Edgar was still injured and was slower than us. Rosie and Sean helped us. I looked up. 

"There's a cave in the side of the mountain. We can set up there for the rest of the day and spend the night." I said, looking at them. 

"How are we going to get Dad up?" Rosie asked. Curtis looked down, glaring at his left arm. I stroked his cheek. 

"Let me go up first. I'll find the easiest route then come back down to help him." I said, taking my backpack off and holding onto the knife and my axe. I attached them to the makeshift holsters we had made. I started climbing, breathing deeply. I slowly worked my way up, trying to find the easiest way. I finally got to the top and breathed deeply, taking my knife out and looking around. I slowly walked into the cave, looking around. It seemed to be clear. I made sure to check it twice before deciding it wa safe. I walked out and slowly put my knife back. I started climbing back down. 

"Alright. It looks safe. Sean. I think you should go first. There's a bit at the top that's hard to get past so you'll need to help pull us up. I'll go last with Curtis." I said. Sean nodded and started climbing, getting up then waiting for us. Rosie and Edgar went next. She watched him closely. He was slowly but he was getting there. Sean finally pulled him up and Rosie handed his crutch to Sean before getting him to pull her up. Timmy and Yona went next then it was Curtis and I. 

"I'm just going to hold everyone back with this arm. I should just go back." Curtis said. I slapped him. He held his cheek and looked at me, shocked. 

"No one is getting left behind, understood? We are a team. I'm pregnant and that's going to slow us down once I start getting big. Are you going to leave me behind?" I asked. 

"Of course not." He said. I nodded. 

"Exactly. You're not getting left either. Now. Let's start climbing." I said, helping him up. It was a slow process. I had to hold him to the cliff side so he could move his hand to grab on tightly. We managed to get up and Rosie and Sean pulled him up. I climbed up and breathed deeply, looking at them. 

"We moved Edgar, Yona, and Timmy into the cave. Yona's working on a fire." Sean said. I nodded. I looked at Curtis who was laid out on his back. I knelt by him. 

"You ready to head in?" I asked. He sighed softly and nodded. I helped him up then went in with him just as Yona managed to get a fire started. I smiled softly. I sat with Curtis. Rosie started heating up some cans of food we had managed to get from Wilford's room. We all ate silently, tired after the events of the day. I leaned into Curtis gently. He looked at me and smiled. We finally decided to settle in but we were going to take turns taking watch between Sean, Rosie, Curtis, and myself. I had first watch so I sat near the fire, holding my knife. I laid my head back and just watched everyone. I was happy they were alive. I held my stomach gently, wondering how my baby was doing. I had no idea of how to tell.

"You hurting?" I heard and looked at Edgar. He was holding Rosie gently. 

"No. I'm just wondering how baby Everett is doing." I said, smiling. He nodded. 

"I'm sure he's good. His dad lost some of his arm and he's still going." Edgar said, chuckling. I nodded and held my stomach. 

"You should be sleeping. You need it." I said. 

"Been passed out all of yesterday and most of today. I think I'm good." He said, moving to sit up more and wincing as he did. 

"Still hurt?" I asked. He nodded. 

"A bit, yeah. I'll be good though. Thought I was going to die." He said. I nodded. 

"We thought so too. Rosie was upset." I said, sighing. He nodded. 

"Well you're not getting rid of me that easily." He said, smiling. I smiled back. 

"I hope not. I'm happy for you and Rosie. You deserve each other." I said, smiling. He smiled.

"Thanks, Erin." He said, holding her and relaxing. He drifted off to sleep and I kept watch until I woke up Sean. I laid by Curtis, cuddling with him and falling asleep.