Preordained Position

"You can tell him to shove his invitation up his-" Edgar snapped before Rosie covered his mouth. 

"We'll be okay. I'll bring you something to eat." Rosie said, kissing him gently. Edgar sighed and watched her get up. Sean helped her walk. I kept them close, keeping my eyes on Claude as we walked in. Curtis held onto me, breathing deeply. Claude closed the door. 

"Everett family. Is that you? I can call you that, right? Everyone is an Everett except Erin but she's practically one. Here. I'll pronounce it officially. I know pronounce you Mr. and Mrs. Everett. You can kiss the bride." Wilford chuckled. I glared and breathed deeply. 

"Curtis, dear boy. Come in. Sit down. Bring your family." Wilford said, motioning us over. I followed Curtis. 

"Sit, kids. Let the adults talk for a moment." Wilford said. I swallowed and nodded to Sean and Rosie. They slowly sat on the other side of the table, watching us. I held onto Curtis.

"Let's have a look at you two. You did a man's work, coming all this way. You are the first human being to have walked the entire length of this train, tail to engine. Did you know that? Well done. Bravo." Wilford said. Claude pulled out a chair for Curtis and told him to sit. 

"And Erin. Practically glowing with your pregnancy. Congrats, by the way. I didn't think it would ever happen again after we had to borrow little Sean. First twins ever on the train. A proud accomplishment. We were hoping for another set but you two just. Had a falling out after Sean. Right? Didn't get too many details cause neither of you wanted to talk about it much." Wilford said. I glared and sat quietly. Sean watched us and Wilford, breathing deeply. 

"None of your people have ever been here, to the engine. I've never been to the tail section." Wilford said, still cooking. 

"Why not? Too dirty for you? Don't wanna rub against the vermin of the tail section?" Curtis asked. I held his hand, breathing deeply. I squeezed it gently. 

"Do you think my station is without its own drawbacks? It's noisy. And it's lonely." Wilford said. I glared at him. 

"Right. Steaks. Plenty of room. This whore to bring you anything you want." Curtis said, motioning his head towards Claude. She glared and I glared back. 

"Curtis, everyone has their preordained position. And everyone is in their place except for your little family here." Wilford said, motioning to us. 

"That's what people in the best place say to the people in the worst place. There's not a soul on this train who wouldn't trade places with you." Curtis said, glaring.

"Would you trade places with me?" Wilford asked. 

"Fuck you." Curtis snapped back. Wilford chuckled. 

"Curtis, dear boy, the fact is, we are all stuck inside this blasted train. We are all prisoners in this hunk of metal. Medium rare?" He asked. Curtis watched him. 

"And this train is a closed ecosystem. We must always strive for balance. Air, water, food supply. Population must always be kept in balance." Wilford continued. I looked at him, remembering the way that Mason described the aquarium. 

"So you kill us off when we start getting over populated?" I asked. 

"Close, but not quite. For optimum balance, there have been times when more radical solutions were required when the population needed to be reduced, rather...drastically." Wilford said. 

"The revolts." I said, piecing everything together quietly in my head. 

"Look at you. Smart cookie after all. Hang onto this one, Curtis. Someone may just snatch her up." Wilford said, chuckling. I looked at him and glared. I felt Curtis's grip on my hand tighten. Wilford brought over the food for us. I stared at it, swallowing hard. I looked at Rosie and Sean. Sean wasn't really looking at it. Rosie was eyeing it hungrily. I felt hungry too. I looked at Curtis. He looked at me.