Disgusting

I stood by Curtis, watching Namgoong work. Yona, his daughter, was crouched beside him. She looked back at us after a moment. 

"No one there. Kronole?" Yona asked, holding her hand out. Curtis put two pieces in her hand. I watched door open and held onto Rosie's arm as the men raced forward. I followed slowly, looking at the empty beds. There was no one in here. I looked at the wall. 

"Are these windows?" I asked quietly, then closed my eyes as bright light came through them. Rosie gripped my arm. I squinted as my eyes slowly adjusted to seeing outside light for the first time in 17 years. I looked out. Rosie looked. 

"Wow." She said. I smiled and held her gently, rubbing her back. She kept looking around. I moved back to let Edgar look. I held onto Curtis's hand. 

"She looks happy." He whispered. I nodded and watched her. I noticed Edgar's hand on the small of her back as they looked out the window. Curtis noticed and stepped forward. I stopped him. He looked at me. 

"Leave them alone. Could you think of anyone else you would rather be with her?" I asked. He sighed. 

"No." He answered. I nodded. 

"Let's get them going." I said. 

"Alright. Let's get going. We didn't come here for this." Curtis said, patting the backs of some of the men. 

"Yea you heard the man. Come on." Edgar said, walking and helping. I smiled and moved to the front. Curtis got Nam to work on the door. 

"Kronole?" Yona asked, holding her hand out. 

"How'd you know no one was there?" Curtis asked, placing two pieces in her hand. She turned away and sniffed them. 

"He's running." She said, then the doors opened. I moved forward despite Curtis trying to push me back. It was Paul. I hadn't seen him in awhile. He looked crazy. I looked around then down as a machine started pushing out protein blocks. 

"So that's how they're made. Still hot." Tanya said, getting one. I moved along with Curtis, listening to him talk to Paul. I followed Painter up. Rosie climbed up and looked around. Painter gasped and I covered my mouth as I looked into the vat. I think I might puke. Rosie looked in. 

"Dad." She said, her eyes locked on the insects crawling inside the vat. Curtis climbed up and looked, covering his mouth and closing it. I looked at the others who were fighting each other to grab them. I swallowed hard and looked away. 

"You can't draw this." Curtis said to Painter. He nodded. 

"Okay." Painter replied, getting down. 

"They've been feeding us that shit." Rosie said, trying to keep her voice down. 

"Language." I said, feeling sick still. 

"Look. We can't tell the others. And you can't tell Edgar. He'll run his mouth." Curtis said. She swallowed hard and nodded, knowing Edgar had a loud mouth. I hurried off to the side and threw up, holding onto the bucket. I felt someone holding my hair then Rosie cleaned up my mouth. I breathed hard. She held onto me, rubbing my back. 

"Made me wanna throw up too." She said, walking to a spot and helping me sit. Curtis sat by me soon after that and Rosie went to sit by Edgar. Nam was working on opening the doors while we all sat there. I sighed, listening to Edgar getting impatient. Rosie calmed him down. 

"She's good for him." I said. Curtis smiles. 

"She gets that from you." He said, watching them. 

"Well yea. We all know you're an asshat most of the time and I've put up with it for 17 years." I said, smiling. He chuckled. 

"Thanks." He said, then looked at Yona. They talked quietly. I watched Rosie and Edgar. They were whispering to each other. He kissed her quickly, stroking her cheek. She blushed and smiled. Curtis got up and helped me up. I walked with him behind Yona. She was staring at the door we were trying to open.