Twins

Everything went by in a blur after that. I heard yelling and I was being carried back to Rebecca's medical area. I was laid on the mattress. I heard more yelling and saw Rebecca. 

"Alright. I need you to breathe deeply, okay?" She said. I nodded and breathed in deeply then exhaled slowly. Curtis managed to get himself behind me and let me lean against his chest. Rebecca helped get my makeshift skirt off and helped me get as comfortable as I could be. I breathed hard and gripped onto Curtis's hands. He kissed my head gently and let me squeeze his hands. I barely remembered being told to push before I heard crying. I looked at the small baby that was crying in Tanya's arms. She immediately placed the baby on my exposed stomach, helping to keep it balanced. I reached down and gently held it. 

"It's a little boy." She said, smiling softly at me. I breathed deeply and smiled, stroking the baby's head. I gripped Curtis's hands tighter as I felt another contraction. Tanya took the baby and started cleaning him. 

"This should be very quick. Alright?" Rebecca said, looking at me. I breathed hard and leaned my head back against Curtis's shoulder, pushing. I felt exhausted and weak. 

"I need you to push again, Erin." Rebecca said, looking up at me. 

"I can't. I can't." I whimpered, breathing hard. 

"Hey. Hey. Look at me." Curtis said, stroking my cheek. I looked up at him. 

"Curtis. I. I can't." I whimpered out. 

"You are the strongest person I know, Erin. I know you can do this." He said, holding onto me. I breathed hard and gripped his hand, pushing again. Rebecca finally got a hold of the last baby and helped it out. I didn't hear anything. I looked down, breathing hard. She patted the baby's chest then turned it over, patting it's back. I heard a cough then the baby screamed. I sighed in relief, leaning back against Curtis. 

"A little girl, Erin." Rebecca said, smiling. I was handed the boy while they cleaned her up. I held him close to my bare chest, covering him with the blanket. He moved his head and squirmed slightly. I smiled, watching him. Curtis was watching over my shoulder. 

"He's perfect." I said, watching him. I was handed the girl soon after. Curtis helped me adjust them so I could hold both of them. I fed them soon after and they went to sleep. I smiled. They were so perfect.

"What's their names?" Tanya asked. I looked at Curtis, smiling softly. 

"Rosie Marie Everett and Sean Curtis Everett." I said, smiling happily. She smiled. 

"Those are beautiful names." She said. I was moved back to my bunk with the twins. I could get up and walk a day after their birth but I had to lean on Curtis, not that he minded. The guards didn't show any mercy and still made me get up and down. Assholes. 

"The woman who birthed the twins. Come forward." They called. I looked at Curtis and breathed hard. There was a woman standing behind them. I slowly walked forward, leaning on the arms that were offered to me. Curtis was coming behind me. A guard stopped him. 

"Just the mother." He said. Curtis glared and breathed deeply. 

"I. I can do it." I said, holding my arm out for Sean. He slowly placed him in my arm. I held onto him and Rosie, breathing deeply and walking closer. I looked at the woman. She didn't look like she was happy to be here. She looked at the twins then motioned to a guard. He reached out and grabbed Rosie. 

"Give her back!" I yelled, reaching for her. Another one took Sean. I punched at him, trying to get back to them. 

"Give them back to me!" I cried. Curtis was yelling and cussing at them from behind me, no doubt being held back like me. I was hit with the butt of a gun. I collapsed and held my face, crying in pain and watching the twins. The woman was looking them over. She took a picture then motioned to me. The guards stood me up and I was given them back. Curtis hurried to my side and took Rosie, holding me close and glaring. A package was handed to me. I took it and breathed deeply. 

"Mr. Wilford wants congratulate you on giving birth to the first set of twins on the train." The woman said, then left. I breathed hard and leaned into Curtis. He lead me back to our bunks. He sat me down on mine. Edgar was standing by Susan, watching. 

"Erin okay?" He asked. I nodded and held the twins close, crying softly. Curtis held me and rubbed my back. 

"Let me look at your face, Erin." Rebecca said, gently turning my chin up. She looked it over and cleaned up the blood coming from my eyebrow. 

"It's going to be bruised but the only bleeding is from your eyebrow. And I don't think anything is broken." She said. I sniffled and nodded, looking at the package. I gently handed Sean and Rosie over to Curtis. He held them close. I opened the package slowly, looking in it. It had two footed onesies in it, both with trains on them. It also had two hats with the Wilford logo on it. Folded at the bottom of the box were two new baby blankets. I breathed deeply and looked at Curtis. He helped me get them dressed. I held onto them. He ended up sharing the bunk with me that night. I was too shaken to sleep alone. The twins slept on our chests. Rosie was asleep on his chest while Sean slept on my chest. 

"How are you feeling?" Curtis asked. I breathed deeply. 

"I'm scared. I don't want them to take them. They took Susan's daughter last week. She still hasn't come back." I said, holding Sean. He sighed softly. 

"They won't. I won't let them." He said. I nodded and leaned closer, closing my eyes. I fell asleep slowly.