I'm Cupid - Chapter 17

Chapter 17

"Okay. How the hell am I supposed to start this." I wondered aloud.

I was opening my mouth to tell Toby all about my misfortunes when a very important thought popped into my head.

A very large part of my story had to do with the fact that I was, in fact, a very rare super natural being that people thought of as a baby with diapers and an ugly as fuck bow.

Clearly I missed out on that type of fun.

As I stared at his bright eyes I wondered; should I actually tell him?

The thought brought a plummeting feeling on my chest, my brain yelling at me for the stupid idea but my heart saying that it could maybe turn out fine, that I could trust him.

I cleared my throat when I saw him shift on his seat once again, trying to not roll my eyes at the man child sitting in front of me.

Baby steps, I decided.

"Right so, my dad died when I was a kid. I guess that's important for the whole relevance of how I came here, right?"

I watched as his eyebrows shot up and a sad look washed over his face. Without saying a word, I could practically feel what he was trying to say.

I get it, and I'm sorry.

I nodded and swallowed before continuing.

"So after that, my mom became, uhm... Possessive of me? I guess possessive is a good word. I couldn't get out of the house and such."

"Wait hold up, what? Couldn't get out of the house? What the fuck's wrong with the woman." He's voice interrupted my train of thought, and I simply glared at him in return. He shot his hands up defensibly and then made an expectant face, urging me to go on.

I rolled my eyes again. "So after some time, and a lot of arguing to be honest, I got sick of it. And I ran, with the money my dad had left I drove and ran  away." I was sugar coating and skipping a whole lot of the story I call My Fucked Up Life, but I don't know if Toby was exactly ready to know all of it or not.

"Wait so your mom hasn't contacted you yet?" he cocked his head to the side.

I shook my head, dread setting on my stomach when I myself realized that as well.

How is it that my mom hasn't done anything?

I changed my number and all, but considering how desperate the woman was for human contact, I wouldn't put it past her to search around for me.

And then I realized it could mean two things.

One, I'm the luckiest Cupid ever, and she'd left me alone and free to do as I want.

Or two, she was planning something bigger, and I'd hear from the woman that ruined my life and slowly killed me, pretty soon from now.

And for some reason, my gut told me the second one was correct option.

"Hello? Angel to earth. Come on girly."

I shook my head out of my thoughts and looked into Toby's eyes, suddenly feeling a pressing force against my chest to feel comfort, real comfort, from a person that knew every single aspect of my life. My heart hammered quickly against my ribs as something that felt like ice ran through my blood, fear of being rejected gripping my entire thought process. 

"T-there's a reason why my mom didn't leave me a-alone when I was with her." I could feel something like tingles wash over my legs and arms as my throat and mouth ran dry. What if he thought I was a freak? What if he told someone? What then?

"Dude Angel you're pale as paper. Are you okay? You can tell me sweet heart. I promise I won't do anything. You can trust me." I blindly nodded my head and played with a lose string of my shirt. I could feel my hands clamming and my heart pumping what felt like burning ice around my body. 

I could trust Toby, right? 

"Okay," I started, taking a long, deep breath and releasing it slowly. I glanced up at Toby to see his eyebrows furrowed, a genuinely concerned look washing over his eyes. Throwing him a small smile which he quickly returned, I turned my attention back to the little string I was playing with and arranged the thoughts clattering my mind. 

"You have to promise, no, swear, that you won't let a single soul on this universe. I mean it, Toby. You can't tell anyone, even if you don't believe me, you can't." I almost winced at the serious panic that could practically be touched that fell with my words, and I spared a glance at him only to see his face completely serious, with something that looked like determination on his features as he steadily looked back at me. 

He nodded once, the immaturity that always followed him around disappearing in a couple of milliseconds. "I swear, Angel." He said, completely serious. 

I nodded, a little bit more calm as I looked directly into my friend's eyes, the only true friend I had managed to make in my whole life. I could trust him. It was Toby, for fucks sake. The guy had been taking care of me since the day he told me a random pick up line in the park. 

I could trust him. 

I took a deep breath and looked into his eyes, saying the thing that could change his whole perspective on who I was. 

"You know when you're a kid, they tell you about Cupid, and they say that he's a little creepy baby with diapers and a ridiculously glamorous bow?" I couldn't actually believe I was doing this. 

Toby nodded. "Yeah, I was actually scared of that shit when I was a kid. I mean, think about it. A creepy grown baby that flies and goes around shooting arrows around? Uhm, demon alert? No thanks. Not today, Satan." I could tell he had a genuine fear as he spoke quickly and sincerely. I gave him a flat look, raising an eyebrow. 

"Scared of a baby. Really Toby?" Judgement dripped from my voice. He scowled. "I was a kid."

"Right, of course. a kid. Sorry about that." My sarcasm made him immediately open his mouth to retort, but I raised my hand to stop him. "I was going somewhere with this, remember?" He sheepishly smiled, relaxing back down and nodding for me to continue. 

Silence fell on top of us once again as I thought of what to say next. I cleared my throat, and decided to get over it. 

"For your happiness, let me tell you that I know for a fact that creepy baby doesn't exist." His mouth popped open again but I glared at him, successfully causing him to close it again. 

I took a deep breath. "I know that, because I do the job of that baby." My heart hammered against my chest as I took a deep, shaky breath.

"Toby, I'm Cupid."

***

A/N: Holy shit. OH GOD. Aaaaand people running around with their hands in the air in complete despair because the chapter ended there. WHY Mimi WHY would you end it there?

Because I absolutely adore you guys and I like making you feel stuff while reading this book. Frustration is also something that I like giving you in a silver platter. Eat it right up, sweet heart. 

Thank you so much for reading you cuties! Tell me what you thought, and what you think will happen next! Is Toby as trusting as he seems? How will he deal with the giant chunk of news Angel just threw his way?

Have a good day, and take care lovelies!

xx