Getting Back Together

A/N: I made an ask.fm, so feel free to ask me anything on there at ask.fm/trwrec I hope you like this chapter btw and I'll see you guys next week!

Alice // chapter twenty-three

T O say I was nervous would be the understatement of the century. I was beyond anxious about meeting Jace's family today. It was a late Saturday evening and I was this close to actually shitting my pants and the thought of that happening made me even more nervous.

When I felt Jace grab my hand into a tight grip, I snapped out of my thoughts of how everything can go wrong today. I turned to give him a false smile. "Hey."

I knew he would see right through my bullshit because he always did. And when he shook his head knowingly at me as a small smile defined his lips, I couldn't help the nervousness as it slowly lifted its grip on my heart. "You're nervous, aren't you?"

Grabbing his hand with both my hands, because I could use all the support I can get at this point, I lightly scoffed. "I'm practically sweating bullets."

He pulled up into the driveway of a house that looked way too expensive and put the car in park. He then turned to give me a studious look. "You've never met a boyfriend's parents, have you?"

I looked away from his sharp eyes to glance at the neighboring houses, which all fit the whole rich vibe I'd gotten ever since he made a turn into the neighborhood. "I've never had a relationship last longer than a month, Jace. You're the longest I've ever had," I turned back to look him in his eyes.

He swallowed and I could see the regret that washed over his eyes, his face, his everything. "I wish I could tell you the same. That nothing made sense until you, but it did at some point and I jus-"

I shook my head and reached up to give him a short kiss. I pulled away to put a few centimeters between us and whispered, "it's okay that you loved someone before me, Jace. You're mine now and that's all that matters to me. The past is the past; you should leave it there."

He closed his eyes and breathed out softly. I could tell he was trying to put it all behind a door and lock it forever, but I wasn't stupid. Memories of someone that you loved, someone who was once pregnant with your child can't be easily forgotten.

"You're right," he chuckled humorlessly.

"Look at me, Jace," I pleaded, cupping his face softly with both my hands. He obliged, slowly opening those beauties of his and when I saw the amount of brokenness that swam in his eyes trying to hide from me, I felt the tears creeping up. "I know this is probably the wrong time to bring up your past, but I want you to know that it's okay. Deal with what happened with Tanya in whatever way you want, just as long as you're okay. I just want you to be okay. That's all."

He smiled. My heart slowly returned to its normal pace as I realized it was a real smile. "You have to stop crying because of me," he noted, wiping away the few tears that had escaped my control.

"You're my boyfriend," I laughed softly, "besides, you have a way of making me emotional when I've been an emotionless prick my entire life."

"So, I'm your emotional trigger?" he asked wickedly.

I snickered and pulled away from him. I heard him let out a laugh as I got out of the car with my phone in hand. I caught eyes with him as he locked the car doors. "Yeah."

He turned to look at me questioningly as we walked up the stairs to his house. "Yeah, what?"

I sighed. "Yeah, you're my emotional trigger."

How sickeningly TVD can we get, honestly?

He smiled proudly, pushing the door open. "After you."