Epiphany

Thank you all for continuing to read this story. I hope you enjoy this update and I'll see you guys next week! btw, thank you so much for 3k!!!!

***

Alice // chapter six

I can tell you that I didn't see sparks when Jace kissed me because that would just be weird. But what I'll tell you is that I melted. Sure, that's still equally weird. However, it's realistic. I honestly thought my knees were going to buckle after a couple seconds. But he pulled away quick, not giving me enough time to savor his taste. I needed more.

"Open your eyes, Alice," he murmured so slowly that I had to strain to understand.

I complied, opening my eyes to an insanely mind-blowing view. Him. He was just there, smiling at me with his adorable smile that somehow was also damn alluring. "You, sir, kiss very well."

He chuckled. "Do I?"

"Mm-hmm," I nodded, "I think I'm addicted. And I've only had one taste." I leaned in once more, unable to control myself. His lips were tender and amorous. I couldn't help but want more. I couldn't keep my hands to myself. Not anymore.

He kissed me back with a passion I didn't expect. His lips moved with an ardent force against mine and my mind went completely black. I couldn't think. I couldn't breathe. I could only follow him and what he was doing. His lips. God, his lips. I didn't want him to end it, I wanted him to continue for as long as he can. For as long as forever.

But I knew that wasn't possible. We had to break apart to actually breathe and I was dreading that moment when he'll move away from me.

When he did, I let out a soft sigh of complaint. He chuckled, his thumb caressing my cheek. "Now, I'm addicted."

My lips pulled into a small smile as I opened my eyes. He was there, looking at me as though he was trying to understand how gravity worked. He was smiling and I was taken back by how well I could read him. That knowledge weighed on my heart; it was such a responsibility. "Well, now, you know how it feels."

He laughed. "I do and I'm guessing you wouldn't mind if I did this," he started to lean in once more as he spoke the last words. I wanted to push him against my lips for he was leaning in at an excruciatingly slow pace. Nonetheless, I refrained and let him do it at his own rate.

"What the hell is this?" a familiar voice called out.

Jace pulled away from me and turned around at a speed faster than I deemed possible for a human. "Tanya? What are you doing here?"

My head jerked up at her name and my eyes locked with her fuming ones. She looked away from me fast, turning to Jace. "It's a public library, Jace."

"I know, but you've never stepped foot in a library before, so why now?" His voice was getting gradually low and he was getting cautious, being more careful with his words.

Tanya scoffed, running her fingers through her hair. She mustn't have expected him to say that. "Baby, I came here looking for you," she whispered defensively. But she spoke again and this time, she was mad, raging furiously. "And I found you kissing her!" She pointed at me in a sharp motion and whipped around to look up at him once more. "Is that what I deserve, Jace?"

Wait, they're dating?

"Tanya, come on, don't be that way," he cooed, reaching for her hand that had flown to her hips in her earlier outburst.

My eyes widened; I felt like life just slapped me in the face. Why was he doing this? Why did he kiss me if he was with her?

Give him a chance to explain. Stop jumping to conclusions.

No, he's a cheater. And a liar. I couldn't even look at someone like that.

I didn't want to listen to their banter any longer. My body took control, understanding what needed to be done. My mind was still fuzzy as I turned away. I didn't want to look at them, at Jace. I wanted to find a way to justify what was happening, why it was all falling apart as quickly as it had begun. But I forced myself to not do so. I took large strides the opposite direction and quickly walked to my car.

I drove fast, too fast. I was way above the speed limit in a school zone; it was no surprise when an officer pulled me over. How does this work? How do I sit there, try to understand a guy who looked so broken and then be rewarded with a slap in the face? What is wrong with this world?

The sharp knock at the window made me gasp. I swallowed hard at the officer standing outside my door and I slowly scrolled my window down. "Yes, officer?"

He opened his mouth to speak but closed it. He looked bothered. "Are you okay ma'am?"

I nodded. "I'm alright." I could feel my voice shaking as I spoke; I just hope he didn't hear it. I want to go home. "Am I getting a ticket, officer?"

He let out a long sigh. "No. I can't give you one when you're crying like this. It feels wrong. Please, just drive safely."

My fingers automatically reached for my eyes, finding tears falling continuously. I didn't even know I was crying. "Thank you."

He nodded, looking unsure as to whether it was safe to let me drive crying like an idiot. "Don't worry about. Get home safely."

I tried to smile, I really did. "I will, thanks again." I moved fast, closing my window and driving away from him at the same speed he caught me at.

I was angry.

I was damn furious.

I let myself go. I let common sense go. I tried to understand him, tried to soften him and let him open up to me. I thought I was doing him good. I thought he'd like having someone there who tried for him.

But I was stupid. I've known him for a week. A week. And I'm already thinking this way.

This has to end now. It has to before I can get any stupider and fall any further than I already have. What happened today cannot happen again. This tutoring crap has to end. I couldn't look at him again, not in the same way at least. He was a liar. A cheater. A damn manipulator. I was trying to put my trust in him and he tore it apart before he even had any part of it. How could I even trust that what he told me was true? He could've been lying, trying to get me to fall for the sad story and feel bad for him. And when he's got me completely under his spell, he would've used me like all the other girls he's probably used, only to drop me the next day.

I shuddered. I need to get my shit together.