Dance Until He Does

Alice // chapter nineteen

"U M, Alice," Jace called out as I locked my car doors. He walked to the closed doors of the restaurant we'd stopped at and stood, staring at me warily. He'd been continuously asking me about why I'd changed into a dress after I gave him his birthday gift, but I tried to quiet him by telling him I felt like dressing fancy. "It's closed."

I shook my head, trying to retain my smile. "No, it's not."

"The lights are off," he countered as I walked up to where he stood and pushed the door open.

I let on a controlled smile and looked back at him as I pushed the door wider. "The lights being off doesn't mean it's closed," I pointed out, entering the restaurant. When I realized that Jace wasn't following, I turned to look questioningly at him, waiting for him to follow.

He gave me a weird look. "That's exactly what it means, A."

I rolled my eyes playfully and pulled him through the door via his arms. "You're being too cautious."

"I am no-"

"SURPRISE!" a loud mob of tangled voices screamed, cutting him off. The light was abruptly turned on to a bright extent and surely, there was a mob here.

"Holy shit!" Jace raved, the surprise in his voice visible in his admirable features. I tore my eyes away from the mob of Jace's close friends and acquaintances and of course, the one friend that I'd made on my own, Katie to look at Jace. His eyes had widened and there was this huge smile on his lips that lifted my heart and mind into the clouds and I was sure I wouldn't be coming back down anytime soon. He then slowly turned to me, laying those big and beautiful eyes on me. He opened his mouth to say something but someone-Blake-pulled him into a hug before a word could escape him.

"Happy birthday, man!" Blake yelled, tapping Jace's back as others neared them to wish Jace happy birthday as well.

Content with how everything was going at the moment, I walked away from the crowd that was getting larger and to the mini stage where there was a mic set up. I let the crowd chat with Jace for a while before tapping the mic to grab their attention. When the room quieted down and I saw that everyone was looking up at me, I turned my eyes to Jace's and winked at him before speaking. "I want to thank you all for coming to Jace's 18th birthday. It's been a crazy week trying to get all of this together and to make sure that nothing would go wrong. I want to also thank Blake, Aden, and Katie for helping me put all of this together. Alright, so we'll take a few minutes to settle in before kicking off the event. So, have fun until I interrupt you again!"

A collective round of laughter went around the room as a dance song that I couldn't, or rather didn't care to, put my finger on started to play through the speakers. I put the mic on the mic stand and walked off the stage.

"When are we bringing out the cake?" Katie asked, walking up to me as I entered the kitchen.

I shrugged, "maybe after the song ends. I wanted to give them a chance to talk to him before all the excitement started."

We rounded the table where the cake was set. The restaurant made it for us as it came with the plan to rent out the night there for a birthday party. They included beverages and food, too. It was a bit expensive, but we somehow pulled it all off.

Blake pushed through the doors and walked to where we stood. He was also dressed up like Katie and I. "That went well!"

I smiled. "Is he liking it?"

He nodded, turning his attention to the cake. "He's loving it. So, when do we get to eat this bad boy?"

"Soon," I snickered, "we're just waiting for the song to end."

"Cool," he clapped his hand, "I'm gonna go and wait by the door to make sure no one tries to leave with all the gifts people are bringing him."

"Yeah, sounds fine," I shrugged and he turned to leave.

Minutes later, the song came to a slow end and Katie and I looked at each other. I could feel the nerves setting in as we picked up the large cake that had 1998 was a special year because it's the year you were born and we're lucky to have you in our lives. Happy 18th birthday, Jace! written in capital letters on it.

As the song officially ended, I could hear Blake's croaky ass voice starting to sing "Happy Birthday". Katie and I looked at each other one last time before pushing through the doors with the large cake in our arms and walking to the main room whilst singing along with the rest of the room, who've joined Blake.

We slowly placed the cake on the table the was set up on the stage as Blake brought Jace up to the stage. That brilliant smile was still splitting at his lips, his eyes keen as they looked to the crowd, then to the cake before coming up to meet mine.

There was this look in his eyes; I can't even describe it because it was just that incredible. It made me want to pat myself on the back for thinking of doing this because this look he had on his face and in his eyes and in his every being was so damn worth it. He was worth it.

Katie tapped on his shoulder, steering his focus from me to her as she handed him a knife. I restarted to sing along with the crowd as he cut the cake in a terrible line. I almost laughed at him but refrained.

We clapped when he was finally done cutting-destroying-the poor cake. I expected to give him a hug and wish him a hushed happy birthday in his ear, but that was not what happened. He pulled me to him faster than I could say "Happy birthday" and laid a long kiss on my lips that spoke more than a thousand words.

I could hear the wolf whistles and chuckles that suddenly filled the room, but I didn't really care.

When he pulled away, I had to take a few seconds to remind myself that we were in front of a crowd and that I needed to control myself. I finally opened my eyes to find him staring at me. "Thank you for this. You have no idea how much this means to me."

I shrugged, because I didn't know what else to do, and pulled away from him to gesture to Blake and Katie. They were just smugly staring at us. "They helped, too."

He smiled at me knowingly and looked at the two. "Thanks, guys."

Blake waved him off. "It's no biggie."

I almost laughed at the two before grabbing the mic. "How about we get this party started!" I yelled, watching two workers of the restaurant carrying the cake off the stage and to the kitchen to prepare for everyone. The crowd went wild and I nodded to the DJ.

Soon enough, Calvin Harris' How Deep Is Your Love broke through the speakers. I didn't think it was possible, but the crowd got even wilder as they took the dance floor by a storm.

"Come on, let's dance!" I pulled at Jace excitedly. Blake had already wandered off with some girl. I knew this because I can actually hear him yelling above all the noise. That boy was crazy. It's funny because I knew I was just about as crazy as him in a crowd.

"Babe, I need to do something first, okay?" Jace said, his eyes wandering off to the crowd and turning back to me. He seemed distant all of a sudden and I almost fell on my ass in surprise. What was wrong with him?

My eyebrows narrowed at him. "Is everything okay?"

He nodded a little too fast. "Yeah, it is. I'll be right back," he kissed me on my forehead and quickly walked into the crowd. I lost him before I could follow him for long.

I blinked twice and turned to Katie, who was staring at me with wide eyes. "What just happened? Did he not like it?"

She quickly washed the shock away from her face and waved my worry off. "Of course, he loves it. He probably has something to take care of; that is what he said."

I sighed. "I know, but..."

"But nothing. He'll be back soon," she shook her head and pulled me down to the dance floor, "dance until he does."

I chewed on my lips for a moment, still worried about Jace's sudden change of emotions. But it didn't last for long. I chose to believe what Katie said and chose to just let loose on the dance floor as another upbeat song took the floor.