The Beginning

“Tordena!” my mother yelled as I jumped causing my book to inconveniently fall out of my hands. I watched it tumble off of my bed and onto the floor closing with a thump. As I continued to stare at my book in disbelief I heard my door open and light footsteps enter my room--without permission. “Tordena, it is seven thirty. What are you possibly doing up here?” my mother asked as I looked up at her.

“Well I was reading,” I said taking in my mother’s curly brown hair that stuck everywhere, her bright blue eyes behind the pale grey wired glasses, and the freckles that ran everywhere on her cheeks, “But inconveniently my book fell out of my hands when I was scared to death by my mother,” I added.

My mother rolled her eyes rolling the sleeves of her long sleeve shirt up before looking at me, “Don’t be melodramatic, you always read that book. You could quote that book to me. Now get dressed,” she told me as I rolled my eyes and picked the book up.

“How are we even related? I mean you hate reading if it for the enjoyment. The horror,” I said looking at the first book in the Percy Jackson series; the multiple creases in the pages due to the many times I had read the book.

“Well I did give birth to you Tordena. Now get ready; I am your mother and your school starts soon,” she said piercing me with a cold blue-eyed look before walking out of my room.

“Ya. Ya. Ya. I just need to finish this chapter,” I called after her as I snuggled deeper into my pillows and opened the book to my spot; continuing where I had left off.

When my mother woke me up from my reading dream thirty minutes later yelling up the stairs something about that I only had fifteen minutes to leave the house if I wanted to get to school on time. Like I really wanted to. Needless to say I creased the corner of the page and set the book on my bedside table and turned to the task of putting all my school items into my backpack.

“Binders, one, two, three, where is that binder?” I asked looking around the room for the binder that I needed and needless to say it wasn’t anywhere.

Sighing I zipped my backpack thinking of a way where I could fool the teacher why I did not have the binder and went to pulling clothes off my floor and started picking up my room. My mom said I always had the worst timing in the world. After my floor was cleaned, my bed spread was neatly tucked into my bed, my dresser and vanity was properly cleaned I was finally ready to get dressed. I pulled out a pair of army green skinny jeans, something I wore constantly, and jumped around my room getting into them. Then I pulled on a black long sleeve shirt under a red flannel checkered shirt with a dark brown three quarter sleeve jacket; rolling the sleeves up of course. Topping the look off I pulled on matching dark brown ankle boots and a grey scarf. I looked in the mirror and pulled my hair, a natural dark brown and light blonde mix with multiple strands of unknown to species colors of brown, into a messy bun. I touched the necklace that I always wore; something my mother had given me when I was thirteen and I had never taken it. Sighing I grabbed my purse, abandoned on the chair near the window where I had thrown it last night, and my backpack before stomping downstairs of my mother’s open structural two story house. All the realtor had to say was something about scientific and my mother was sold.

    “You know you only have thirty minutes to get to school,” my mother told me frowning at me as I stomped into the kitchen and rolled my eyes.

“It takes me about twenty minutes to get to my chair mother, twenty-five at the most, I have time,” I said walking towards the fridge and grabbing a Starbuck’s frappuccino; not before I saw my mother rolling her eyes--we are a family of eye rollers.