Ford and the "Cool Kids"

Ford could hear the music beating and the continuous laughter coming from the water fountain in the square. Some kids were dancing others were joking. Jocks and cheerleaders circled the fountain as she approached. Ford smiled. She had found her group. Her people, the ones she always fit in with. Then she noticed them, the "IT" couple. Every group has one.

 He was tall, wore his Levis with a trendy t-shirt and Nike shoes to boot. His letterman's jacket graced his shoulders squarely as he leaned with his perfectly spiked hair and big blue eyes and kissed his girlfriend. She had on a dark blue pair of skinny jeans, and a peasant shirt with a big belt hugging her hips and high heels finished her ensemble.

Her perfectly long blond wavy hair framed her face and cascaded down her back. Ford already envied her. The perfect girl giggled and her jock boyfriend pulled away. Ford always prided herself on approaching the cool group head on, but there was something about the look the perfect girl gave her, that made her stomach turn and she wanted to turn around.

Too late, one of the other girls saw her approaching and stood in between Ford and the "Perfect Couple".  "Um...can we help you? Are you lost?" she teased.

 Ford laughed nervously. She was trying to think of something witty to say. "I...uh...hi..my name is Alaine." she just left out the Ford part.

 She could feel her cheeks turning red. The perfect girl stood up and walked over. "New girl huh??" she smiled sweetly almost too sweetly.

 "Yes, my name is Alaine..." she smiled at perfect girl. The girl looked at her from top to bottom.

"You are awful purdy..." she drawled. Again Ford felt that twinge in her stomach.

 "Thanks?" she questioned. "Yes you are.." perfect girl smiled wickedly again. "My name is Katrina. Katrina Stephens...this here is Windy." she gestured towards the first girl that approached her before Katrina.

 "Your daddy is the one that is building that complex right?" She stared her down from top to bottom again.

 "Uh huh, we'll be staying here all year long.. we move around a lot with his job" Ford smiled again, trying to sound interesting."We've been to Paris, New York, Belize..."

 Katrina cut her off..."Sounds just peachy hun... you are quite the traveler we get it...this here is the rest of the group, this is my boyfriend Teddy, that's his boys Art, Hank and Francisco and these are my girls, you met Windy, this is Patty and Felice...."

Ford was feeling more uncomfortable by the minute. She wasn't so sure the Cool group is where she fit in. The boys were all eyeing her as if she were a piece of steak and the girls continued to glare.

 Katrina spoke again. "If you like you can come sit with us at lunch, we'll save you a spot.." and she looked at the girls, they giggled.

Ford wasn't quite sure how to take that. "Sure...that would be great!" she smiled again.

 "Okay then..." Katrina drawled again. "Meet us  in the lunchroom third table in the first row, next to the windows. The girls giggled again. Ford looked confused but didn't question it.

 "I will do that! See ya then.." she called after them as they walked away from the fountain.