The Stranger I: Richard

The alarm clock was blaring like an annoying siren but I was already fully awake under my warm bed covers. Waking up earlier than the clock was not normal practice for me; I was up with the early morning birds because I knew well that it was going to be an exciting day ahead. Usually, Mom would have to be the manual alarm for me to drag myself off the invitingly comfortable covers. However, this day was meaningful enough for a couch potato like me to be energetic for once. Hyped for the schedule which awaited my duly presence, I gingerly swung my legs off the edge of the bed, slipping my feet into the comfy sky blue bedroom slippers on the floor. I took in a deep breath, attempting to brush off the curtain of drowsiness which had draped heavily on my body from the good night's sleep. It was still tempting to return back to the comfortingly warm embrace of the bed's soft mattress but I mentally forced myself to shrug off the feeling.

As soon as the alarm clock stopped it's repetitive beating, the door to my room swung wide open; revealing none other than my mother, ready to take over what the clock had failed to accomplish. She looked at me in surprise before heading back down the stairs, probably back to the kitchen to prepare meals for me and my siblings. Not wanting to be late for the events, I swapped out of my slack pajamas into my casual wear and rushed down for breakfast. I wasn't one who was into fashion, so I clad myself in my usual plain white tee along with cargo shorts and an unbuttoned checkerboard flannel.

"That must be the first time in years since I did not have to wake you up, Richard," Mom commended in amusement as I took a seat on the kitchen stool, pouring cereal from a box of fruit loops into a bowl on the dining table. "Never in my life would I have thought that you would be so interested in exploring the wilderness. Seems like the school has arranged a camp suited just for your tastes as well," she added, dousing the dry cereal with fresh cream milk from a new carton.

"Blame the wilderness documentaries for that," I replied with a shrug, slightly muffled by the piece of toast which I had hungrily stuffed into my mouth. Crispy French toast was definitely an all-time favorite for me. "They air on the discovery channel every Tuesday to Thursday evening right after I come back from schooling," I spoke again, ignoring the fact that I may have resembled a chipmunk with acorns in its mouth.

"Richard, table manners," Mom reminded knowingly with her back still facing towards me as she prepared breakfast for my two younger siblings; a toddler sister six years old in age and a brother aged nine. I was older then them combined; currently at the golden age for teenagers - Sweet sixteen, as they call it.

"Sorry," I apologized, covering my toast filled mouth with a hand.

Filling my mouth cavity with the remainder of the delicious pan-fried bread, I brought my right arm above the table and shook my wrist watch towards myself. It had been barely ten minutes pass the alarm. I grunted in irritation as I had to reach Newman high school by seven; which surprising to say, I was way too early in my game. It only took a five-minute brisk walk past the local community park to get there and here I was, needlessly racing against time like a complete fool. I sighed mentally, perhaps being almost late for class every morning had drilled the habits of hurrying into my brain. Despite the numerous occasions that I had to rush to my high-school in the early hours of dawn, my attendance was ironically perfect.

Mom noticed me grunting as she swiveled her head sideways, casting a side glance. She smiled as she spoke. "No need to be hasty dear, the camp ain't going to grow legs and start running away from you." I watched as she poured the smooth pancake batter onto a sizzling hot pan over the stove. "You could always reach there first and wait it out if you are bored; maybe some of your classmates are there already, who knows," she suggested, carefully spreading the bubbling batter around the non-stick frying pan's surface with a metal ladle. The mouth watering fragrant smell of the pancakes wafted from the heat as the underside of the batter was cooking. It smelt like heaven to me, yet I did not have the appetite for seconds as I was pretty full from wolfing down my heavy breakfast. Satisfied from the hearty meal, I pushed away from the table and got off the stool, walking past the living room towards the main door.

"If that's the case, then I guess I will be heading to school right now," I said out loudly, competing with the vicious sizzling of the batter as Mom poured in a new swatch onto the pan. The sound was oddly satisfying to hear for reasons unknown to myself.

She turned down the heat of the stove to a small flame as soon she heard me. "Oh, almost forgot. Did you double check the items in your backpack? Not going to be fun if you are missing any camping necessities," Mom advised in concern. She turned around, presenting a clean white apron free of pancake batter. I guess if one had been in the culinary practice for years, the apron is not really needed anymore since they hardly ever stain their clothes while cooking. "And how long is your camp again, sweetie?" she asked.

"Yes Mom, everything is packed inside, I had gone through the checklist thrice already," I answered monotonously as I hefted the bulky camouflage patterned backpack from the floor next to the shoe cabinet. It was about the fifth time since yesterday that both of my parents told me to recheck the list of required camping equipment. I could not really blame them since they were mainly worried for my safety, which was heartwarming. I strapped the backpack onto my shoulders. "And the camp is for three days and two nights out in the local woods," I reassured her with a grin, reaching for my house keys to open the front door. Mom had finished the second batch of pancakes just in time as well. She took off her apron, leaving it folded neatly on top of the kitchen table as she walked towards me.

"Now, have fun out there, but please be safe too, for your own sake and for ours," She said, looking at me in the eyes tenderly.

"Do not worry, Mom, I will," I promised her. Nothing else to say, she hugged me around the waist lovingly. Returning the affection, I hugged her back as well. Three days did not seem like a long time but it may progress much slower when separated from the urban city life we lived in. It was easy to lose your perception of time in the wilderness; you would start to miss stuff rather quickly.

"Now now, what do we have here, huh? A loving couple?"

We both looked back. Dad had woken up from his deep slumber and was scaling down the stairs sleepily like a zombie. It was evident that he forced himself awake for this moment as he works as a night guard, which meant that he was kind of nocturnal. He was always either asleep or out on duty that we hardly ever had family activities with him but the minutes which he was available he would use all of it just to talk with us about his adventures during night watch. He stopped halfway on the staircase as he studied me and Mom with a blank expression.

"Listen to whatever your Mom says, Richard... And have fun camping in the woods! I might take you to fishing next time... but that is when I am not desperate for sleep like I am right now..." he muttered tiredly as a yawn escaped from his mouth. He was too exhausted to care about covering his gaping mouth with a hand. Formality was not the main concern when you are craving to catch some winks. Yawning once more, he proceeded back up the stairs, his hand holding onto the railing for support. "...And do not wander off into the forest by yourself! There are wild animals out there!" he warned, scratching his back before disappearing into the second floor of the house.

Mom laughed. "He should apply for a convenient job if he really wants to go fishing with you," she shook her head, frowning in disbelief. I could not help but smile at her complaint. Looking back at me, she rested her hands on my shoulders.

"Now go and have the time of your life, okay?" She ordered.

"Roger that, Ma'am!" I replied with a firm salute.

With that, I exited the house and began walking the usual route to school. It was still very early in the wee hours of the morning, which explains why there was not as much traffic and people as during the peak hours where everyone would be rushing to work. As I crossed the street, I wondered if any of my classmates are already there waiting. Most likely none as nobody ever leaves at such a time, especially students; and even specifically my classmates. I sighed. Hopefully, there would be someone there to keep me accompany. Even Mr. Green, the teacher in charge of hosting the camp would be sufficient to avoid my impending boredom. I crossed my fingers and hoped for the best. Well, if no one is there, my phone should be capable of entertaining me till it hits seven I guess.