Chapter Fifty-Three

Silent, Jane could only watch as Tobias knelt down in front of the casket. She watched as his tremulous hand rested on the sleek wood, a rose inside of the clenched fist. For a fraction of a second, Jane felt as if she was dreaming. No wind blew against her chilled skin, only warm sunlight that wasn't fit for the funeral's setting. Everybody's breath was being held as the youngest brother just knelt there and then, his face crumpled. Just like that, the cold mask he had been wearing when she had first seen him in the church was broken in two, revealing the true Tobias and what he was feeling.

Without thinking, she rushed towards him. He latched onto her like a lifeline, burying his face in her neck while she and Thrane helped him stand up. People paid them no mind, only allowing she and Tobias to brush through the crowd until they walked far enough to a stone bench. Tobias accepted the help gratefully, clinging to her as they set him down.

Thrane clapped a reassuring hand over Tobias's heaving shoulder before asking in a weak voice, “Jane, can I talk to you for a second, please?”

“I-” She faltered for a moment, not wanting to leave Tobias. “I think I-”

“It'll be five feet away,” Thrane growled impatiently.

She followed him to a shaded area a few feet away from where Tobias was sitting like a rock with his head in his hands. It felt wrong, to not be holding him right now, but the look on Thrane's face told her that it was important.

“Thrane,” she began, “I ju-”

Large, bulky arms enveloped her against a chest broader than even Tobias's. “Thank you so much,” the third oldest brother murmured solemnly, his voice filled with an actual emotion for all of the times she had met him.

“You don't have to thank me,” she replied, her heart yearning to help the both of them. “Even though I didn't know him that long, I thought of Tawson as my own brother. I think of you as my own brother also, Thrane. If you ever need anything, just ask, okay?”

“Just..." He pulled back, giving her a meaningful look with eyes almost identical to Tobias's own. “You have to be here for him. Please, just...you're what's best, and you're what he needs. I know I overreacted last night, and I'm sorry; but please, just don't leave him again.”

“I won't.”

With one last hug, Thrane walked back to where the burial ceremony was being held, immediately disappearing in the large crowd. She turned on her heel slowly so as not to startle Tobias. Feet crunching against the dried grass, Jane felt a little nervous as she racked her brain for something reassuring to say. But just as she saw Tobias's defeated form, she knew exactly what to do.

“Tobias,” she said gently, sitting next to him on the bench, “you're missing the burial service. Would you like to go down there?”

“No.”

“Do you need anything? I can-”

“No.”

“Would you like to-”

He didn't answer; instead, just hauling her into his lap and crushing his lips against hers. He tasted of salty tears and pure sex; she accepted the offer gladly. Tangling her hands in his bristled yet soft hair, Jane returned his fervor with equal intensity, tangling her tongue with his.

“Please.” Tobias bit down on her neck extremely hard. "Make me feel something again, Jane. I can't be here anymore. Not now. Not today. We need to leave. Please.”

“Of course." She smiled gently, helping him up and onto his feet. “Is it alright if I drive?”

“Yeah.”