Chapter Eight

“Wait, he didn't kiss you?” Karen asked, disbelief and shock lacing her high pitched voice.

“I know, right! We were standing right on my porch, and he was leaning down, and I was so sure that he was going to kiss me. I really, really wanted him to, but he kissed my forehead instead.” Jane pointed to the spot on her head where she still remembered how just the touch of his lips made her all hot and bothered. "And it was just so sweet.”

“That's just...oh, he sounds perfect!”

“Shh...” Jane looked around the Clinic's small cafeteria, seeing all of the strange looks that were sent their way. "People are starting to stare. But yeah, we stayed up 'til 1:30 in the morning, and time just flew by. I hope he calls. I can really see this relationship going somewhere.”

Alan sat down next to them, along with Sherri and Thomas. “So,” Alan began, “you girls sure do sound excited about something. Care to share?”

“Jane went out with Tobias on Wednesday night, and he only kissed her on the forehead! And Jane loved it,” Karen blurted out before she could stop her.

Sherri gasped, Thomas looked surprised, and Alan just sat there, eating his chocolate chip muffin with agitated, mechanical bites. “Why the hell can't he be gay?”

Thomas barked out a laugh at that, a piece of the turkey sandwich he had just recently bitten into flying across the gray, linoleum table. “It'll be alright, Al." Thomas turned his attention to her. “Besides, that probably means that he's looking for a steady relationship. That's what I did with Lori,” he explained, referring to his wife of eleven years, “I just placed a real, quick kiss on her cheek and then walked away. She talked about me with her friends for awhile after that, just how I planned.”

“He has an appointment today, doesn't he?” Alan asked.

Karen took a bite of her peanut butter sandwich and replied, “Oh, yeah. Right at the end of the day too. It's with Lee. Sorry, Alan.”

Jane was just about to get her two bits in, but was shushed as they continued talking excitedly about what Tobias's game plan was. Which made her think, was their really a game plan? She wouldn't blame Tobias for thinking everything through in that head of his to make sure that she wouldn't forget him, for she had thought about what type of impression the wardrobe she was going to wear would do.

She hadn't wanted to come off as too lazy to get a little dressed up, but she also hadn't wanted to look as if she was trying too hard. Instead of preparing for hours on end, she had thought about it too long and before she had known it, the doorbell had rang, signaling Tobias's arrival. So, she put on the first jeans she could find and was relieved that her hair hadn't frizzed up after her shower.

When she had seen him there, she was blown away by how great he could look with a simple, red t-shirt and a pair of jeans on. His hair had that kind of buzz cut that would feel prickly, yet so soft against her hands, and she had immediately wanted to run her hands through it. Then, when his brother, Thrane, had popped out of the bushes and had basically attacked Tobias, she realized that he was very protective and caring.

Thrane, with his werewolf mask and fur bodysuit, had basically leaped out at her, and he had shielded her with his wide back, crashing into the back of the truck with a lot of momentum behind it. On instinct more than thinking, she had kicked the monster as hard as she could, only wanting to protect him. What had been behind that werewolf mask had surprised her. With a build like Tobias, a little bit of a more angular face, and short-cropped black hair, his brother had been behind it.

Thrane, the man whom had also asked her if she wanted to hang out two days ago, had been strange, she had to admit. He just talked and talked until he thought he thought he had said enough, and then he had howled at the moon and had run off to who knew where. Tobias apologized and in a very old fashioned manner, had opened up every, single door for her. They had held hands, linked arms, she had even rested her head against his chest for a couple of hours, and it had been the best date she had ever went on.