Chapter Twenty

Toying around with his cellphone on the table, Tobias debated about whether or not he should call Jane. She had just left a little more than two hours ago, and it was already dark outside. He had a feeling that she was currently sitting at home, doing the exact same thing as he, fiddling around with her phone nervously.

Fuck it, he thought, throwing the slim piece of technology onto the couch. As much as he just wanted to hear that sweet melody that was Jane's voice, he couldn't just settle with a simple phone call. No, what he needed was just see her, touch her, and just hold her. If he was allowed the chance to wrap her in his arms and never let go, he would do anything to get there.

Having already taken a shower right after Jane had left, he was ready to go within five minutes. Grabbing his truck keys, he made sure everything was looking okay before turning on the ignition na driving away. His face was clean-shaven, his plain, worn down clothes practically immaculate compared to how they were while he had been splitting wood.

That had been such a dark, hopeless time, he remembered. Screaming and shouting during the exhausting work, he had been so filled with anger and hurt that he had hardly known what to do with himself. Then Jane had come into the shed. At the worst time to approach him.

With one look at her, he knew that if he didn't keep all of that anger boiling at the surface, he would wrap himself into the pitiful, emotionless shell that he could so easily become. And what did that leave him with? Resentment and pain – nothing more, nothing less.

He had been harsh with her, he knew; but at the moment, as he stood at her door, he somehow found the courage to rap his knuckles along the familiar wood. Now, as he waited, his thoughts ventured to what he should have gotten her as an apology. Anything probably would have been better than nothing, the one thing that he could give her.

The door cracked open a few seconds later, revealing a very tired looking Jane Reynolds. Dressed in only a pair of plaid shorts that exposed almost all of her bare legs and a black camisole, she still managed to make the lazy effect look incredibly sexy. Luscious hair framed her face, cascading down her slim back.

Time seemed to stand still, seconds planting their feet in and pausing to watch their interaction. Eyes connected, hands clenched, heartbeats were accelerated and yet, no move was made. With his mind finally registering that the door was open, he walked in, crushing her to his chest almost simultaneously. Not even giving her a chance to speak, he pressed his mouth to hers, and she responded immediately.

Their wild tongues coiled together, licking away into each other's mouths with a fierce desire that he had never felt before. Her hands tangled in his hair, knotting themselves into the short mass and crushing him even closer to her. His shoe caught on something that had fallen to the ground, causing him to stumble into the crouch with Jane in between him.

Extending his arms out to grab the couch, he made sure to cushion the blow that would inevitably land on Jane's back. She gasped a little bit, only increasing his rampant fervor for her. The kiss was broken as her hands reached underneath his shirt and with his help, let it fall to the floor in a pool of black fabric at their feet.

Delicate hands searched, groped, and explored his chest, causing him to shiver at her touch. Pressing her into the couch with only the use of his hips, he bent down to trace invisible patterns along her neck with the use of his tongue. She gasped her pleasure, reaching down to the belt on his jeans.

He didn't give her the chance to touch him where he ached the most just yet; instead, he bent down, biting and soothing her neck with his tongue – an action that he knew she loved. While applying suction to the fragile skin, he pulled the edges of the camisole over her head, discarding it on the floor next to his shirt.