Chapter Forty-Two

“Oh,” Jane moaned loudly and blushed at the thought of being overhead.

She felt as Tobias exerted more force into his actions, manipulating her until her head lolled back and she groaned once more. The room was far too warm and had had them both sweating quite some time ago, but Tobias forged onward.

“That's so good." She sighed once, becoming putty in his pliable hands.

Trickling in the deep valley between her breasts, perspiration was quickly absorbed by the thin fabric of her dress. He set down her sore feet onto his lap, leaning his head back against the hard, concrete wall. She did the same and heard his stomach grumble for what was at least the fourth time that day – or morning, she didn't know.

They had been kept in this prison for what felt like hours now and were still awaiting the punishment from the results of last night's actions. It had been purely exhilarating as they had ran away from the surprisingly fit police officer. She could still remember as the wispy leaves of the bushes, trees, and shrubs had stung her face with fast-paced step they had taken.

And now, they were stuck here in a holding cell. Walls painted a shade of green sickened by the harsh fluorescent lighting and concrete slabs called benches were what made up the small jail cell. Staring straight ahead with a bloodshot look in his eye, another heavily tattooed man occupied the corner, ink covering almost every inch of his body.

The three of them had made a mighty fine pair last night when the man had pulled out a pack of playing cards and had suggested playing a game of Sheepshead. Warren Mallis was his name, and for a man with such a menacing appearance, he was one of the nicest and most good-natured person she had ever met – not to mention the fact that he was an avid cat enthusiast who owned seven different breeds at home.

A sharp, blatant whistle shattered the mirror that was her memories of last night. She brought her gaze to the companionable guard as he tossed them a couple of cellophane-wrapped cracker packages. Scooping the wrappers full of fake grain up into the cradle of his hairy arms, Warren handed them each a bag and sat down next to Tobias, munching on the salty snack.

“Thank you, Deputy Dean." Tobias waved a cracker to the younger, inexperienced man.

“D.D!” Warren laughed uncontrollably, most likely still high from the drug he had smoked before being arrested. “You're funny, Tobias.”

“As are you, Warren. Now, D.D., how 'bout another game of Sheepshead? Don't you want to brag in Warren's face about how great you are at cards?”

The skinny police officer shook his balding head and soon sat down cross-legged outside of the cell, watching as they all sat down on the other side. Taking out his deck of blue-patterned and damaged cards, Warren removed the sixteen unnecessary cards and dealt out the remaining thirty-six. Within minutes, everybody's attention was focused mainly upon the card game, Jane feeling the urge to smack Warren across the face with every trump he laid down.

“Damn it, Warren!” she cursed before setting down what was left of her fail deck. “How the hell are you so good at this?”

“It's all up in here, Janey.” Warren ruffled his shaggy, dirty blonde hair. “All up in here.”

“It's too bad there's nothing there, Mallis,” Dean snickered.

“Hey!” the high as a kite man interjected. “Didn't see you winnin' no game of Sheepshead, now did I?”

Cursing under his breath, the deputy humbly reshuffled the deck and once again began dealing through the bars with ease. Their racous laughter and unintelligible muttering reminded Jane of her college days when they had played Gin Rummy – except this wasn't Gin Rummy, and they were stuck in a jail cell.