Chapter 1: Jun Alexander

Photo to the side is of Jun Alexander! 

~

I am not a killerI follow the alpha's orders. They are absolute. I'm sorry it had to be you. I really am, Carson, but you of all people should know the rules. You are the beta after all. I'm here to relieve you of that position. Please don't hate me, but if you do, that's fine too. I don't deserve your love.

~  

Jun watched as his hand filtered in and out of shadow form. He could control it better now that his father had taught him, but the urges came more frequently. He didn't understand them. He was content with his life in the pack. He only followed his father's orders. His life was simple, but something was clawing to break free from inside him and-

Jun jerked his head up at the sound of his office door opening. His gold eyes landed on Klein Britanis, the new beta of the pack. His face halfway lit up in a smile, but it died as quickly as it came. He cleared his throat in order to regain his form. 

"Sorry to impose," Klein began. "I knocked, but-"

"I understand you've been elected by my father to become the new beta," Jun stated bluntly. He couldn't say he was jealous of Klein, but he felt something. His father had always paid special attention to the new-beta, and that alone bothered Jun to no end. 

Because Jun had also taken a special interest in Klein Britanis.

Klein cracked a smile, easily done. "I see you're well informed. It's true. Your father has advised me about the position, but I'm not sure if I should accept it." He closed the door, shutting out all outside activity. "May I ask you something?"

"Of course."

"Why did you," Klein briefly paused as if afraid, "you know? Kill Carson?" 

The room filled with an awkward silence. Jun wanted to laugh to a degree at how scared Klein seemed to be. There was no doubt that Klein was a talented werewolf, but his personality was something to be debated about. 

"Yes." His voice was calm and hard. "I killed Carson Green, the former beta."

"Why?"

"My father ordered it," Jun said as if it were the obvious answer. He wistfully curled a dark lock around his finger. "And if my father ordered it, I would kill you as well." Jun didn't know what he expected out of that statement, but whatever it was didn't happen. Klein remained silent, not afraid like Jun would've thought. "Are you broken?" Jun asked, and Klein's red eyes met gold.

"Not at all," he said and smiled broadly, showing his handsome dimples. "I was just.. thinking."

"Of what? Jun asked, though he should probably care less.

"Of how I wouldn't mind if it were you who killed me." Klein's voice didn't waver at all. It stayed rock hard, finally fitting his muscular, toned image. It was as if his voice was someone else's. Jun had never heard him speak this way. 

"You're excused," Jun ordered, still partially shocked. He turned around in his chair until he heard a "Sorry for the intrusion" and the door closing lifelessly behind him. He had just seen a part of Klein that even his father hadn't. And for some reason, he felt .. accomplished? Proud? Happiness.

"I should've killed Carson Green long ago," Jun said to himself as he let out a long, slow breath and slumped into his chair. He ran a hand through his tousled raven locks. He could feel his almond-shaped eyes burning with an urge. As well as the organ between his legs. 

The urge was for happiness, control, and Klein Britanis.

~

"I shouldn't have done that," Klein told himself over and over again as he arrived at his quarters. He was letting his sinful feelings get in the way of his lifelong mission. It was the whole reason he was born: to kill the future Wereshadow, whomever it may be. He just didn't expect that evil Wereshadow to be his mate. A boy of nearly 16 who was the most gorgeous person he had ever laid eyes on. His raven hair, golden eyes, and the brief evidence of his Asian descent made Klein want him all the more. 

He knew it would complicate things if he couldn't follow out his mission, but he couldn't kill his mate. Even if his mate was already a killer. He needed to get Jun out of here. Out of the pack. Maybe even persuade him to their side. He was the beta now. He would be seeing his mate a lot more often.

He just hoped his urges wouldn't destroy what little trust in the pack he had built. With Jun, the alpha, and the other pack members. Jun hadn't come to realize what a mate was, and for many reasons, Klein wished he never would. But that one part of him, his wolf part, wanted to claim Jun Alexander until his very core only belonged to Klein Britanis, no one else.

But life as a werewolf couldn't be so simple. He would have to wait for his chance to find a crack in Jun's undying loyalty to his father. Though impossible it may seem, Klein had noticed a change in Jun lately now that his 16th birthday was near. The closer it got, the more he would find Jun practicing his shadow form. A full shadow form. Something that only happened in this particular pack every 100th century. 

That alone made Jun Alexander the biggest target of this millennium for all downworlders. Klein knew that even if he managed to capture Jun, he wouldn't be able to protect him like the pack had done so far. He was one man. One werewolf. No matter how strong he was, he could never go up against every downworlder who wanted their hands on his mate. 

If only Jun knew how Klein suffered so. How he wished nothing more than to live a normal life in which he didn't have to kill his one and only mate. He would be exiled; a rogue. Jun Alexander would always have a pack. He would always have followers. He would never be considered an enemy.

Not when he had the power to rule them all.