Chapter One

The sun poured in through the large bay windows, letting in the warmth and the glow of the summer morning. The light cascaded across the bedroom, making little patches of warmth fall onto parts of the room. Some of the sunlight hit directly in Madeline's face. She bolted upright in her bed, squinting her eyes as she did so.

She saw that her windows had already been opened that morning, which of course was the cause for all the sunlight. Their was a tray with her breakfast already sat at a table. A cup of coffee had been placed at her bedside table and Madeline took it gratefully. She took a sip of the bitter tasting drink, hoping she didn't need sugar and cream, but reluctantly got out of bed when realized she did in fact need sugar and cream.

Over by the tray of food, she found cream and sugar along with a boiled egg, a basket of pastries, a pot of more coffee, orange juice, a plate of sausages, wheat toast, and some strawberry jam. Madeline sat down at the table, eagerly wanting to dig into her food, but before she could start her door burst opened.

"Ah, your Majesty," said her ladies maid, Nancy, who gave a sight curtsey before coming over to the table with her clip board. "Good, you're up. You have a lot to do this morning your highness. First you have a meeting with your piano teacher and he would like you to have that piece memorized by today. Next, you will have to go see your dressmakers to get your measurements so they can start working on your dress for the ball. After that you have lessons-"

"Wait a minute," said Madeline holding up her hand. "It's summer Nancy, don't I get a break from lessons?"

Nancy frowned. "I wish you did your highness, but your mother has given strict orders that you continue your lessons for the next three months. You could talk it over with her if you'd like, which brings me too. After your lessons, you are to have a meeting with your mother and her constructive team, to go over preparations for the ball."

Madeline sighed, as she took a piece of sausage from the tray and nibbled on it. This was a normal schedule for her, but somehow, it seemed daunting and pointless this morning. She didn't want to have to deal with meetings, lessons, and dress fittings. All she wanted to do was lay around in bed, maybe watch some tv and do things normal teenagers did on a summer day.

"Do I have to Nancy? Can't you say I'm not feeling well and let me get out of my responsibilities, please? Just this once?" She folded her hands and pleaded towards Nancy, making a puppy dog face.

Nancy rolled her eyes. "I'm sorry Madeline, but no. Your mother would never forgive me and besides, you have so much work to do what with preparations for the ball. You don't have time to miss anything." Nancy patted Madeline on the shoulder. "Now, you need to meet your teacher by 8:00am." She looked at her watch. "It's 7:15am now. I'll have Lydia draw you a bath and I want you downstairs by 7:50am. Understand?"

Madeline nodded, rolling her eyes. She took a bite of her toast as Nancy made her way out of her bedroom. Madeline sighed, setting down her toast. She glanced out of her window, smiling at the view. She rose from her chair and made her way to her balcony.

Madeline gazed out at the beautiful scenery. The palace grounds were lovely. Her bedroom faced the side of the courtyard and a little past that, the riding grounds. Madeline saw her two younger brother, Theo and River having a riding lesson, given by their instructor, Conrad. Madeline smiled to herself as she watched the boys jumping their horses in the distant. She could also see servants milling around in the courtyard, maids bringing trays of food to all the different residents of the household. She saw Theo's and River's right hand men making their way over to the stables in a frantic hurry, probably because they weren't supposed to be out there till later. Madeline laughed quietly to herself as she made her way to the bathroom.