Chapter Eleven

It was hard to find somewhere to eat in Windermere that didn't cost that much money and was out of view of the public eye. Madeline didn't really explain to Jaylin why she didn't want to be in public, but he didn't question it. Madeline sort of got the sense that he didn't want to be in public too.

There were lots of little independent food shops in Windermere, as well as some chains that Madeline assumed were popular all over the country. She didn't have a clue of what she should get, since all her meals had been prepared for her.

"Do you have any suggestions on what we should eat? I don't get out much," Madeline said, shyly, hoping Jaylin wouldn't just shrug or not give any answer at all.

To Madeline's surprise, he actually looked like he was thinking over her question, searching his brain for an answer. "We could try Marty's? It's a cheap little sub shop over on main street. They have really good sandwiches."

"Okay, sounds good."

The two started walking in the direction of main street, Jaylin in the lead, because Madeline had no idea where she was going. It was a little bit of an awkward silence and Madeline didn't know if she should try starting a conversation or just let things play out. She decided on the latter.

Windermere wasn't that busy, which Madeline was grateful for. There were a few people walking around the town. Mainly moms taking their kids out for an afternoon excursion. There were other people that passed them by as they walked on the sidewalks of the small town, but no one Madeline saw as a particular threat.

After walking around the town for a bit, Jayline stopped in front of a small shop. The sign over the door read, "Marty's" The Best Subs in Town. The two walked in and Madeline was immediately met with the amazing smell of fresh baked bread. There were no other customers in the shop, which Madeline found odd, but was grateful for.

There was a boy, who looked to be about 18 or 19, standing behind the counter, looking bored. "Welcome to Marty's," he said, in a bored monotone voice.

I don't feel very welcome, Madeline thought, as she walked up to the counter to place her order.

~

After paying for their food, Jaylin and Madeline decided to go find a park to eat at. It was a beautiful summer day and Madeline didn't want to be cooped up inside a restaurant eating. Plus, it would be easier for someone to recognize her if she was inside, rather than outside minding her own business and mingled in among all the other people. They found a little park, not far from the sandwich shop and went over to park themselves beneath a tree.

Jaylin sat down and started eating his food right away. Madeline was a little slower at getting to her food. They sat in silence for awhile, each eating their own food. Jaylin had his back up against a tree, sitting with his legs spread out to both sides, in that way boys often sit. "So, what's your story?" he said, after swallowing a bite of his sandwich.

Madeline nearly choked on the bite of sandwich she was eating. She wasn't really expecting him to ask that question and so out of the blue too. Of course, she couldn't tell him her actually story. Oh, you know, I'm just the princess of Osprey and ran away because my parents put me in an arranged married and said that I had to pop out a baby by this time next year. Did I mention I'm only sixteen? So she had to make something up. On the spot. Which she wasn't very good at.

She had heard somewhere that the key to lying is to make your lie half true. Don't say every little detail about yourself, but the main parts that are true, Madeline thought, Just don't say you're a princess. "Well, I'm a runaway," she started, "My parents wanted to pressure me into this big life changing event that I clearly wasn't ready for, so I split. My parents have always been a little controlling, so I thought it was time to go." Madeline sighed. She hoped that would be believable.

Jaylin chuckled. "I totally understand that. I ran away from the family too. They were a little too controlling for my liking."

"How long have you been running?" Madeline asked, her curiosity getting the better of her.

Jaylin looked away from Madeline then. Not out of shame, but he just sort of glanced to the side, as if lost in thought. "Six months," he said finally. "What about you?"

Madeline stared at him. Six months? That seemed like an awful lot of time to be away from your family and yet, not enough time. Of course it only seemed like such a massive amount of time to Madeline because she had only been gone for what, like two days? Which, being in his presence, made Madeline feel a little small, seeing as she'd only been gone for such a short time.

"Two days," she said finally. She decided she should tell as much of the truth as she could, that way she wouldn't feel that bad about lying about who she was.

Jaylin chuckled. "A newbie, eh? Well, here's a little advice. Try and stay clear of everyone. I know that seems like a pretty obvious advice, but trust me, people sometime won't leave you alone. It's better to only come into towns when absolutely needed. When people see a dirty kid wandering the streets, they get curious or scared. Neither of which you want. Just stick to the woods or old deserted roads. Away from civilization."

"Okay, thanks." Madeline gave Jaylin a small smile.

Jaylin didn't necessarily return the smile, but Madeline thought she saw the corners of his mouth turn up a bit. They sat in a bit of a silence for awhile, both quietly eating their food. Madeline had just finished her sandwich when Jaylin started talking again. "So, where are you heading?"

Madeline thought for a second, then realized she didn't know. She probably should have thought this whole running away thing out more clearly. "Honestly, I have no clue. I hadn't really gotten that far." She gave a small laugh.

Jaylin chuckled a bit too. "Well, I'm heading towards Norfolk. It's a ways away, but I'm hoping I can get some work there or something. Plus it's far far away from my house, which is good."

"But don't you want to stay clear of big cities?" Madeline questioned, remembering what he had said earlier.

"Yes, but Norfolk is so big that there is very little chance anyway will care what I do. Plus, I can probably get work, buy an apartment, and then I no longer will be a runaway." He said this all with a flourish of his hands as if he was presenting something.

Madeline sighed. "That sounds awesome."

Jaylin smiled a little, then stopped. He looked as if a thought had just entered his brain. "Why don't you come with me? It's always better to travel with a partner and then you can try and get a job in Norfolk."

This idea surprised Madeline. It actually had passed her mind, but she never guessed that Jaylin would suggest it. She was pleasantly surprised. She did, however, think over what might happen if she were caught or discovered. Could she put Jaylin at that risk? She had to admit though, she would feel much safer traveling with someone and she could always use a friend....

"That's actually a really good idea. I think I will," she answered, smiling at Jaylin.

This time he actually gave a real smile in return.