Chapter Twenty-One

Jaylin and Madeline immediately stepped apart from one another, not before Jaylin cast a very confused look towards Madeline. He raised his eyebrows at her, as if to say, What's going on? Madeline's heart sunk. Just when everything was starting to go well for her, this happens. She didn't know who it was, her father, her mother or Quinten, but whoever it was had just ruined one of the happiest moments of her life.

Madeline looked towards the bright light, trying to see what lay beyond it. Turned out the bright light was a spotlight, coming from a helicopter up in the sky. Madeline could tell from the roar of the engine. She noticed that there were several police vehicles, surrounding the park and a few vehicles with the royal seal on them, obviously from the palace. Madeline heard a bunch of slamming doors as people emerged from their assigned vehicles. Madeline noticed a few of them were holding guns, which made her heart race.

A shadowed figure walked up, their face covered by the bright flash of the lights, but Madeline had a sinking feeling she knew who it was. Duke Quinten of Waterstone's face emerged from the shadows. He wasn't wearing a satisfied smirk, which was what Madeline expected to him. No, he had on a stern face as cold as ice. In his hand, he had a gun, which he now pointed at Jaylin.

Madeline's heart raced a million miles a minute, as she jumped in front of Jaylin, shielding his body with her own. "Step away from the criminal, Princess," Quinten said, the gun still pointed at them.

"Maddie, why are they calling you princess and why the hell is that guy pointing a gun at me?" Jaylin whispered in Madeline's ear.

Madeline gulped. "Remember that secret I've been keeping from you? Well... this is it."

Quinten came closer to them, gun still pointed. Madeline stepped towards him, her body still covering Jaylin's. "Quinten, put the gun down." Madeline ordered, trying to use her most commanding voice.

Quinten lowered the gun, but ushered for some people to run up towards them. Police men emerged from the bright lights, guns pointed. One, who looked to be the chief, ran directly towards Jaylin.

"Jaylin Brant, you are under arrest for the kidnapping of Princess Madeline of Osprey. You have the right to remain silent," said the chief, handcuffing Jaylin and leading him towards the bright lights.

"NO!" Madeline screamed, lunging towards the police. "He didn't kidnap me! He's innocent! Let him go!" She tugged on the selves of the police as they took a incredibly confused Jaylin away. The police tried to shake Madeline off, but she held on firm, until a pair of strong arms pulled her off.

"Shh," cooed Quinten in her ear, "It'll all be alright darling."

Madeline desperately tried to uncoil herself from his arms. "What the hell do you think you're doing?"

Quinten glanced at the retreating figures, as they hauled Jaylin into a cop's car. Then he turned towards Madeline, giving her his signature smirk. "I'm getting my happily ever after, sweetheart," he said, as he pulled Madeline into a car.

~

The car was cold. Much too cold for this time of year. Madeline felt as though she ought to be wearing gloves it was so cold. Quinten had put her into one of the palace vehicles, with the black tinted windows. The two of them sat in the back, facing each other, a wall dividing them from the driver's view and ear shot.

Madeline hadn't said anything since they'd gotten in the car. She'd just sat there, arms crossed, taking it all in. She had no idea how this had happened. How did they find her? And why was Jaylin being accused of kidnapping? It was all so wrong.

"Comfortable darling?" Quinten asked, as he lazily lounged in the back seat of the car.

"Don't call me that," Madeline snapped at him, turning her head to glance out the window.

"Alright then. How about pumpkin? Or kitten? You know, I have to have a nickname for you once we're married, so now I'm giving you the opportunity to pick. Unless you'd like me too. I was thinking, sweetcheeks." Quinten's sly smirk appeared on his handsome features.

Madeline scoffed. "You really think I'm going to marry you after what you did? You arrest my friend of false kidnapping and took me without my consent!"

Quinten leaned forward in his seat, so his face was closer to Madeline. "Yes my dear, I do think you're going to marry me, for you see, you really don't have any other options. If you don't marry me, your country will go bankrupt and heaven knows what that'll do to you poor father, who is already at his wit's end. Then of course, your people will revolt against you, leaving you penniless and on the streets, and we don't want that to happen do we, sweetie? And I don't even want to mention what would to your poor boyfriend, oh what's his name-"

"What are you going to do with Jaylin?" Madeline said, her voice cracking.

Quinten leaned even closer still. "Let's just say that if you don't marry me within the week, your little boy-toy will cease to exist." Quinten leaned back against the car, putting his hands casually behind his back.

Madeline gasped. "You wouldn't."

"Actually, I would. You really have a lot to learn about me sweetcakes if we're going to be married." He chuckled to himself, as he glanced out the window.

Madeline slumped down in her seat. What on earth was she going to do? Her hands were tied and she had no idea how to fix it. Her life had become a mess and she was the sole cause of it. She needed a plan.