Epilogue

Five Years Later

My dearest Conrad,

I'm writing you this letter to catch you up on the little happenings that have been happening here in Osprey. I expect you to do the same very soon.

As I am sure you know by now (you never can hide anything from the press can you?) Jaylin and I are engaged! As you would say, it's been a long time coming, for you wanted us to get married at sixteen! You crazy oof! Anyway, it was all very romantic and sweet, but I'm sure you don't to be bothered with all those lovey-dovey details. And yes, I am happy. Very happy. I knew you would be wanting to know that.

All of the wedding plans are still underway. I have no idea when we shall get married. Jaylin says he wants a summer wedding, because we met in the summer, but I would much rather have a fall wedding. Don't you agree? Oh, I do hope you will be able to make it back for the wedding! Jaylin says you can be best man, for he really doesn't want River and Theo to be running around on the stage, even though they are much more mature than they used to be. But Jaylin and I would love to have you come back and be in the wedding! Please let us know if you can! I will of course be sending an invitation with the official date soon, if Jaylin and I can ever agree on one.

Mom's very excited about the whole thing. She says since the last wedding she planned didn't turn out so well, she's hoping this one will be a smash. I just roll my eyes at her, but whatever keeps her happy. She's been so depressed since Dad passed away, that this is about the only thing that makes her smile.

I miss him Conrad. I hate to get all sentimental on you, but I know you'll understand. It's just so hard not having him here, for me to ask him questions about running this crazy kingdom. But I miss him most for the little things, like eating breakfast together or when he would give me hugs. It just feels as if there is an emptiness inside me that I will never be able to fill.

But enough of that. Jaylin's father has been such a huge help with everything. When he showed out of the blue a few years ago, we didn't know what to think. But once he offered to help with Osprey's financial situation, we understood why he was there. Him and Jaylin are better now. You know how bad they were when he first arrived, always at each other's throats. Now they act more like father and son. It's amazing.

Well, I hope everything with you is going well. I expect a full letter soon on the exciting things that happen to the life of a professional horse trainer!

I miss you lots. Please write soon.

With love,

Madeline