Chapter Nineteen

Madeline hadn't realized how close they were to Norfolk until they were standing on the outskirts of the city. Madeline wasn't sure how she felt about arriving in the capital of Osprey. When Jaylin and she had first met, they had said Norfolk was their destination. Madeline couldn't remember if they had said anything about separating when they reached the city, but Madeline prayed that wasn't the case. She still wanted Jaylin.

Norfolk was a large city, tall skyscrapers everywhere. There seemed to be millions of people walking along the streets and sidewalks, thousands of cars zooming past always in a hurry. There were noises every which way. The city was blooming with life.

"Well, this is it," Jaylin said, as the two of them stood outside the main entrance to downtown. It had taken them nearly a day to reach Norfolk after their little detour. Madeline was again surprised to find that there was rarely any awkwardness after sharing such a vulnerable moment together. She wasn't sure how that was. Normally, if she even spoke to a boy it would be awkward but with Jaylin, they seemed to brush right past it.

"It's big," Madeline gulped.

Jaylin chuckled. "What do you expect? It is the capital of Osprey. It's not just some small tiny town."

They stood there, glancing at the passing world around them. Madeline wasn't sure what they were supposed to do. How they were supposed to proceed.

"What are we supposed to do now?" ask Jaylin, as if he had read her mind.

"I was just thinking the same thing," Madeline told him, smiling a little.

Jaylin survived the city. "Well, I should start looking for a job..." He said quietly, not making any eye contact with Madeline.

"And I should figure out what I'm going to do," Madeline said, equally as quiet.

Jaylin glanced at Madeline. "We don't have to worry about that now right? I mean we have a little money left over, at least for a day or so. Why don't we just make the best of it? Two teens out in the big city off on another wild adventure? What do ya say Mads?" He held out his right hand towards Madeline.

Without so as a second thought, Madeline placed her hand in Jaylin's. "Let's do it."

~

"I can't believe you did that!" Madeline snorted, trying not to spill her coffee all down her shirt while she laughed.

Jaylin chuckled, holding his cup of coffee away from himself as well. "It was a spur of the moment venture," he said, a sweet smile gracing his lips.

"So you actually just went to Europe for a day? You just left school in the middle of class, got on a plane and flew to Europe?"

Jaylin shrugged. "I mean, yeah. It was right after my mom died and Oscar and I just needed to get away, ya know? So he pulled me out of class and we flew to Europe. We were only there for a few days, but it was still really cool!" Jaylin smiled wide, letting his adorable dimples show.

"Wow," Madeline said in amazement. She had of course been to Europe before, but not in the way Jaylin had. She had only seen the royal families of Europe and their palaces, not the city or the people.

"What about you?" Jaylin asked, taking a sip of his coffee. "Done any world traveling?"

Madeline glanced down at her own cup of coffee, wrapping her hands tight around it. They had spent the majority of the day just walking around the city, admiring all the buildings and the little shops and all the hustle and bustle of the big city. Then around lunch time they had gone into a small coffee shop and picked up some coffee and sandwiches. They had headed over to a park, to eat their food and had been there ever since.

Madeline didn't look Jaylin in the eye. Of course, she had done some world traveling, she was a princess after all, but she couldn't tell Jaylin that. Not just yet.

"No, not really." She said finally, glancing back up at Jaylin.

She shivered suddenly, for a cool breeze had blown past them just then. Madeline glanced up at the sky to see dark clouds forming. It had been a lot cooler in the city than in any other town they had been in. Madeline knew that summer would soon be ending.

She scooted closer to Jaylin, not really thinking about her actions. Before she knew it, Jaylin had his arm wrapped around her, pulling her close to him. Madeline was a little taken aback at first but didn't object. She leaned into Jaylin's side. Madeline could feel her cheeks growing warm, but she didn't care. Suddenly, she wasn't bothered so much by the cold.

The two of them just stayed there for what seemed like hours and yet, at the same time, it seemed as if now time at all had passed. They didn't talk, just listened to the synchronization of their breathing. Madeline felt really safe in his arms. Like she could conquer the world if only he was around her. She saw a few people passing them give sweet smiles to them and Madeline smiled back.

Suddenly Jaylin spoke. "Maddie, why won't you tell me your past?"

The question startled Madeline. She turned her head to glance at Jaylin, who was looking down at her with hurt in his eyes. No, no, no! She thought! This can't be happening! I'm not ready for this!

"What?" Madeline asked.

Jaylin sighed. "Come on Maddie, why won't you tell me about yourself? I mean, I know little things about you, but I know nothing about your family or where you grew up. It's just, we are getting closer and I don't know..." Jaylin trailed off.

Madeline scooted away from Jaylin, suddenly hurt. She knew that he would probably be guessing about her past but to be so blunt as to come right out and ask about it? "Why do you want to know so badly?" Madeline accused.

"Because Maddie! We have gotten really close and friends tell each other things! At least, I thought we were friends!" Jaylin's voice was raising louder by the second and so was Madeline's temper.

"We are friends Jaylin, but friends trust each other. You can trust me that I'm not an ax murder or anything."

"And you can trust me with whoever or whatever you are! I won't judge you, Maddie." Jaylin lowered his voice at his last statement. He scooted a little closer to Madeline on the bench and placed his hand on her knee. "You can trust me Mads," he said in his sweet voice.

Madeline sighed. She knew she could trust him and she wanted too, she really truly did, but this was too big a secret and if word got out about her she... Madeline couldn't finish the thought. She had no idea what would happen if word got out that she was the Princess of Osprey, Heir to the Throne.

Madeline looked into Jaylin's blue eyes and wanted desperately to trust him. She wanted to with all of her heart, but she was just too scared.

"Jaylin..." She whispered, placing her hand over his hand which was still on her knee. "I... I..."

"What?" asked Jaylin, calmly, looking at Madeline with an overwhelming sweetness.

"I can't." She whispered, a sob in her throat. "I just can't. I'm sorry." Before the tear could escape from her eye, she stood up and ran away from the park bench and her beloved Jaylin.